Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
On my desktop, I have a 'storage' icon which I don't recall ever using. Where is this located? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Drives.png
    Drives.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 90

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
So it looks like you have either a partition on your internal drive labeled that way, or an APFS volume. If you highlight the Storage volume, what does that say?

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Thanks. What does APFS stand for?
APFS = Apple File System. It's Apple's replacement for Mac OS Extended (HFS+). So you didn't mention what desktop you have, but I assume you should only have a single drive inside. You are running a much older version of macOS than I am, so Disk Utility displays things a little differently. If you have nothing stored on that Storage volume, you should be able to simply click the - button up on the menu bar where it says Volume to remove it. However, before doing so, I absolutely recommend doing a full backup of everything "just in case". But you should be good to go.

Reactions: 0rinoco

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
Many thanks for the input and suggestions. I've decided to keep the storage facility now that I understand it. Very useful. Upgrading my iMac shortly, as this one is, as pointed out, getting on a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.