Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JilzVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
I usually backup and sync my iPhone with my Mac via USB, so I disabled the "since this iPhone over WiFi" option in Finder. The other night, I stepped on the USB cord while plugged in and broke my iPhone 14's Lightning port. Apple wants $500 to replace the port so I will just live with wireless charging. I'd like to re-enable syncing over wifi but every tutorial I see starts with "connect your iPhone via USB" and enable that option. Obviously I can't do that.

That option is saved on my Mac somewhere, but where? I've deleted `com.apple.finder.plist` and that didn't do it. Does anyone know where that setting is stored? TIA

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You had your iPhone connected by USB to turn WiFi syncing off, so you have to have it connected by uSB to turn it back on. As the tutorials say.

JilzVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010

JilzVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Just to close the loop here, I did call Apple Support and got the expected answer that it can't be done without physically connecting the cable. Disappointing for sure, since it's just a boolean flag somewhere that needs to be flipped to true, but "buy a new phone" and "increase your iCloud plan" move the needle more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.