Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Headset cap replacement. There are a several different cap designs out there too.

71TBzoHdvvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
So..... what the hell are they for?
Can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

Notice every single scenario on that page is about something being left behind somewhere or misplaced. The commercial for them showed a guy diving into his couch when his keys fell between the cushions.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

Notice every single scenario on that page is about something being left behind somewhere or misplaced. The commercial for them showed a guy diving into his couch when his keys fell between the cushions.
AirTags are for finding items that you could potentially misplace and yeah, of course in some instances it can help with something stolen or not. If AirTags aren't for finding your bike, what are they to find? Your luggage? Oh no, not that. Though they DID help identify STOLEN luggage before and I'm sure countless other things.

• Angry
Reactions: edfoo

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
AirTags are for finding items that you could potentially misplace and yeah, of course in some instances it can help with something stolen or not. If AirTags aren't for finding your bike, what are they to find? Your luggage? Oh no, not that. Though they DID help identify STOLEN luggage before and I'm sure countless other things.
Go back and read what I said. I never said they CAN'T be used for finding stolen items. I said they're not intended for that, and expecting them to do so will lead to disappointment. You asked what they could be used for if not for stolen things, to which I responded by giving you examples and linking to Apple's own descriptions for what they are meant for. I'm sorry you don't find those responses acceptable, but I'm not sure what more you expect me to say. I don't have an AirTag on my bike because that is something I don't tend to misplace given its large size, and I'm not going to expect an AirTag to help me find it if it were to be stolen.

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
I’m waiting to see someone wearing EarPods with an individual airtag attached to each one so the apple logo is showing 😉

• Haha
Reactions: msackey

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Go back and read what I said. I never said they CAN'T be used for finding stolen items. I said they're not intended for that, and expecting them to do so will lead to disappointment. You asked what they could be used for if not for stolen things, to which I responded by giving you examples and linking to Apple's own descriptions for what they are meant for. I'm sorry you don't find those responses acceptable, but I'm not sure what more you expect me to say. I don't have an AirTag on my bike because that is something I don't tend to misplace given its large size, and I'm not going to expect an AirTag to help me find it if it were to be stolen.
Exactly. People who are expecting AirTags to track their stolen goods with excellent result are being naive 🙄

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

If AirTags aren't for finding you bike, why'd Apple list Bike as one of the item type options for your Airtag? :D

E53DE8E7-3374-4BAC-8081-8992828D8684_1_201_a.jpeg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Exactly. People who are expecting AirTags to track their stolen goods with excellent result are being naive 🙄

So here's the thing...

Not everyone who adds an AirTag to an item which might be stolen is expecting excellent results if the item is in fact stolen.

It's more a matter of probabilities. Without an AirTag, the chances of recovering a stolen bike are nearly zero. With an AirTag, the chances of recovery are fractionally higher. Particularly if the Airtag is difficult to remove, thus incenting the thief to ditch the bike and/or giving a last-location-seen.

Reactions: Tru3B1u3

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
So here's the thing...

Not everyone who adds an AirTag to an item which might be stolen is expecting excellent results if the item is in fact stolen.

It's more a matter of probabilities. Without an AirTag, the chances of recovering a stolen bike are nearly zero. With an AirTag, the chances of recovery are fractionally higher. Particularly if the Airtag is difficult to remove, thus incenting the thief to ditch the bike and/or giving a last-location-seen.
Exactly. As long as people don't have high expectation of recovering stolen goods with the help of an AirTag, then they won't be disappointed.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
It's for finding where you last parked your bike, not for finding stolen bike :rolleyes:

It was a joke...

Anyway, you'll note I said "finding" your bike and attributed no reason as to why you might not know where it is.

though I'm unclear as to who the heck forgets where they parked their bicycle???

Last edited:

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
It was a joke...

Anyway, you'll note I said "finding" your bike and attributed no reason as to why you might not know where it is.

though I'm unclear as to who the heck forgets where they parked their bicycle???
No different from where they left their keys, wallets, handbags etc..

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
FWIW, a cycling buddy put an AirTag at various locations inside a carbon frame, and found that it severely reduced its range. He ended up putting one inside his saddlebag, and it was dramatically better. I like the idea of taping one to the underside of a saddle.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
FWIW, a cycling buddy put an AirTag at various locations inside a carbon frame, and found that it severely reduced its range. He ended up putting one inside his saddlebag, and it was dramatically better. I like the idea of taping one to the underside of a saddle.

Interesting - with my carbon frame road bike I find minimal signal degradation in the bit of testing I've done.

I'd suggest chalking it up as a YMMV and folks should give it a shot and see what they see in testing.

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
I took the seat apart and attached it to one of the rails in a leather holder so that it can dangle free and not hit anything but also not be visible.

john9876

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
I put an AirTag inside my e-bike frame. It has a Bosch powertube battery in the crossbar which requires an Abus key to remove. I then removed the metal battery latch from the frame (needs a secure star driver bit) and put the AirTag behind that. No-one is getting that out without a lot of work and potentially destroying the bike!

On the downside I expect the range will be reduced a bit as it’s surrounded by the aluminium frame, although it still seems to work OK. Interestingly the battery needed replaced sooner than the other AirTags from the same 4-pack.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
This one's for all of the &%$#'s that keep chiming in how you can't use them for stolen property. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.