Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
After sweating during several days and finally with the phone assistance of a very kind Apple supporter who spent over an hour on the phone to help me. I finally managed to reinstall Bootcamp Windows 10 in my MacPro End 2013. :)
For unknown reasons it had gotten corrupt and non working.
While I am astounded and admiring the patience and goodwill of that guy Christian sitting in North Germany, I have now 2 (two) entries both labeled Windows in my option-key start-up manager :confused:
The first one leads to the installed and running Windows 10. :D
The second one... offers to begin to install it. :confused:
Needless to say I do not need the second Windows entry and would never risk to reinstall a Windows over an existing one I had very great difficult to obtain, (thanks to that incredibly friendly and patient Apple supporter).:eek:

On the other size I must acknowledge that it does not cause any harm even if it remains there forever...:rolleyes:

Not being at all any kind of OSX system expert :oops: I have no idea :rolleyes: of:

1) where in the OSX system the option-key start up manager actually sits ???
2) if it is possible to edit and remove the second unnecessary Windows entry ???
3) should this be possible, how to recognize which one is the unnecessary one to avoid the danger of removing the good one :eek: which brings me to the running Windows OS !!!
4) how the editing (should it be possible) could take place in a fool proof, risky free way :confused:

If someone with the required knowledge can help me, I would be very grateful! :)
Ed

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hello there :cool: Riwam :confused:! o_O

What you will :rolleyes: need to do is not :) for the faint :cool: of heart :mad::(

Instructions :apple: can be found :oops: here :p: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/macos-removing-windows-efi-boot-entry/

But honestly :D I'd say it's not worth the effort ;)

(P.S.: easy on the emojis next time, buddy. They're not used as punctuation).
Thank you very much keysofanxiety for your kind answer and I sincerely apologize for the Emojis I used.
I thought emojis make any post less boring to read, but if you believe I use too many of them I will restrain in the future.

It's very very kind to send me the link with the instruction (and the particularly kind warning about the risks involving my heart) but...

1) Actually I am faint of heart (very much so, unfortunately, but I am too old to do anything about it... in case there would be a remedy!).
2) Mac OSX was kind (and smart) enough to remove by itself the unnecessary second Windows option in the start up manager.

The system is obviously much smarter than me... (probably not difficult for you to believe even if you do not know me).
Again, thank you very heartily (no emoji) for your goodwill to help me, which I appreciate very much|
Ed

P.S. Your link is actually intended for those having deleted their Windows partition, which was not my case.
I simply had 2 entries for it but, as already mentioned, the second one disappeared by itself after rebooting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.