Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kimi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Everything had just set it's self as default on my iMac! Why? There was a box saying that there was an error and it need to fix it. It did that, logged me off. I log back in and everything is all defalt again. Everything is gone from my Library folder (I'm guessing that's where the settings are kept). The folder on the side bar of the finder now donot hace icons, just pics of a generic folder.

Any know how I can fix this? I think I found all the other files from the Library, just don't know where to go from there.

It's a bugger as I've just got done messing about getting tings how I like them... Please help...

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Kimi said:
Everything had just set it's self as default on my iMac! Why? There was a box saying that there was an error and it need to fix it. It did that, logged me off. I log back in and everything is all defalt again. Everything is gone from my Library folder (I'm guessing that's where the settings are kept). The folder on the side bar of the finder now donot hace icons, just pics of a generic folder.

Any know how I can fix this? I think I found all the other files from the Library, just don't know where to go from there.

It's a bugger as I've just got done messing about getting tings how I like them... Please help...
Open the Harddrive, go into the Users folder, is there more folders in there than Users. Because there might have been an error, and the OS assigned you a new name and you signed in under that name, making it a fresh start and default. While your stuff is under a old name and you are under the new one. What you can do is copy all your old settings from the old name to the new. I believe apple has some info on their website about this particular problem.

L

Lau

ldenman said:
same thing happened on my imac....grr!

Oddly, the same thing happened to my friend's iMac yesterday morning. Maybe they're set to self destruct now the Intel iMacs are out....</conspiracy theory> ;)

ldenman

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
every program that required a serial to run, has now been like reset and I have to put my serials back in or reinstall the software.
I'm considering reformatting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.