Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
I'm in the States. Only seeing this phone either sold out, or sold as 'refurbished' (not by Apple).

Where could I pick up a new one, unlocked?

I tried Apple, Best Buy and Verizon so far. All three are out.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Yeah would avoid eBay at all costs. All most impossible to find a brand new 8 plus now from a reputable source.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Contrary to the eBay statement, there are some genuine new phones there. Some clues to look for are that it must say 1 year Apple warranty (not seller only warranty, that means refurbished). Also, look at user reviews!!!
Check where the phone is coming from. If it's Asia (China mostly), then almost everytime it's refurbished, not brand new.

There are also some other things to look out for that I can't recall right now, but I think I'm pretty good at spotting the real ones. Let me know if you decide to go with eBay and need help.
You can also always PM the seller and ask him to somehow prove to you that the phone they are selling is brand new.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
There are also some other things to look out for that I can't recall right now, but I think I'm pretty good at spotting the real ones. Let me know if you decide to go with eBay and need help.

Thanks! I did sift through again, and I just don't have the time and patience to try to find a legit one. Some were even "factory sealed" and people complained they were counterfeit! Not even refurbs, just straight up junk.

Will keep looking for a straight sale. Otherwise I'll stick with what I got.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I bought a refurbished (unused) iPhone 6 Plus in 2014 on Swappa and I'm using it right now- six years later. Have used it every day, all day for six years. The most trouble free computing device I've ever used.
Original battery now has 1620 load cycles on it and still fine.

Refurbished iPhones can be more reliable than brand new.

Reactions: barondebxl and Hoff

miggs78

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
Prepaid carriers like Boost Mobile and Metro/TMobile have them but not sure if the are unlocked or tied to their networks.

Reactions: Hoff

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
What color and storage are you looking for?

128GB Space Gray. 256 ok too if not too much.

I bought a refurbished (unused) iPhone 6 Plus in 2014 on Swappa and I'm using it right now- six years later. Have used it every day, all day for six years. The most trouble free computing device I've ever used.
Original battery now has 1620 load cycles on it and still fine.

Refurbished iPhones can be more reliable than brand new.

I still have my Apple refurbished 6 too. Yeah, worked perfectly well. I'd buy a refubished 8 Plus if there was one on the Apple site.

That mostly depends on who did the refurbishing. Refurbished from Apple, then yes. Anywhere else is a crap shoot.

Yeah I would buy an Apple refurb in a heartbeat.

Prepaid carriers like Boost Mobile and Metro/TMobile have them but not sure if the are unlocked or tied to their networks.

They are, I called them :)
Was just thinking about switching over

Last edited:

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Good luck Hoff, the iphone 8 plus is one of Apples best ever phones in my opinion. As soon as whatsapp releases the multi device feature, im gonna switch between my 8 plus and SE every week. Love that phone!

Edit - Found this UK online tech store who seem to have brand new iphone 8 plus‘s and ship worldwide

I dont know the reputability of the company, but its on google shopping.

Last edited:

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Good luck Hoff, the iphone 8 plus is one of Apples best ever phones in my opinion. As soon as whatsapp releases the multi device feature, im gonna switch between my 8 plus and SE every week. Love that phone!

Edit - Found this UK online tech store who seem to have brand new iphone 8 plus‘s and ship worldwide

I dont know the reputability of the company, but its on google shopping.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I agree. I have a 7 Plus and love the form factor. I genuinely like the home button and the bezels on top and bottom. And more importantly, a SQUARE screen. It's just the perfect phone (for me).

Reactions: snipr125

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Keep check the listings for a new unit, they come and go all the time, I use swappa all the time for buying/selling and haven't had issues (knock on wood).

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
<duplicate post deleted by me>

Last edited:

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Keep check the listings for a new unit, they come and go all the time, I use swappa all the time for buying/selling and haven't had issues (knock on wood).

Interesting. Good to hear it. ?
I do need to just buy one quickly and reputably and be done with it quickly ?
Sounds like there are no traditional store for this phone anymore
Sounds like I'm stuck with the Xr for now.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Sadly there weren't really brand new iPhone 8 Pluses on ebay. Oddly enough, there are way more on the international eBay.

But what I just recalled was that there were rumours for iPhone SE Plus, which is essentially the 8 Plus as an SE coming next year Spring. But that's like half a year away so dunno if you're in a rush.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Sadly there weren't really brand new iPhone 8 Pluses on ebay. Oddly enough, there are way more on the international eBay.

But what I just recalled was that there were rumours for iPhone SE Plus, which is essentially the 8 Plus as an SE coming next year Spring. But that's like half a year away so dunno if you're in a rush.

Hey, thanks for looking! Really appreciate it.

A lot of people are saying iPhones labeled "new" are coming out of China and are actually not new, or are even fakes. I've decided not to pursue it anymore unless I can find one at a normal retailer.

Going to stick with my Xr for now and hope they do bring out something like that soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: alpi123

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Hey, thanks for looking! Really appreciate it.

A lot of people are saying iPhones labeled "new" are coming out of China and are actually not new, or are even fakes. I've decided not to pursue it anymore unless I can find one at a normal retailer.

Going to stick with my Xr for now and hope they do bring out something like that soon.

Yeah as previously stated Metro By T-mobile has the iPhone 8 Plus, but right now they’re wanting way too much for the phone though IMO.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
My SIL just bought one from her cell phone store.

The OP wants an unlocked 8+. Cell phone stores and carriers usually only sell carrier locked versions. T-Mobile will gladly sell him one but it will be locked to T-Mobile and the price is very close to what Apple sold them as new. Not a very good option.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
The OP wants an unlocked 8+. Cell phone stores and carriers usually only sell carrier locked versions. T-Mobile will gladly sell him one but it will be locked to T-Mobile and the price is very close to what Apple sold them as new. Not a very good option.

That's right. Also I'd recommend Googling the trust pilot reviews for any website selling these phones that aren't either Apple or the actual wireless providers.

Dingster101

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
Look for a store on eBay called BidAllies. I buy all my used phones from them and have never had a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.