Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I've been looking on eBay, as well as a number of sites and I have yet to find an affordable place to get a G5 or Mac Pro chassis (complete case)

I don't need anything left on it (fans would be nice) but it has to be in good cosmetic condition - where should I look?

(its for a project, not for a specific Mac so don't worry about compatibility, just looks)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
ebay or craigslist is your best bet. Various resellers might sell you one but they'd chrge you what Apple charges for replacement part.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
That's a pretty big hunk of aluminum.

Whatcha gonna put inside?

I was thinkin' about a Miniatx motherboard, a Core 2 Duo and about 10 harddrives. Makes for a sweet workstation, and I just love the look of the cases. I'm not so happy with the base price on the Mac Pro though ;)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I was thinkin' about a Miniatx motherboard, a Core 2 Duo and about 10 harddrives. Makes for a sweet workstation, and I just love the look of the cases. I'm not so happy with the base price on the Mac Pro though ;)

As pretty as the cases are have you extensively looked at other cases, especially from Lian Li?

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
As pretty as the cases are have you extensively looked at other cases, especially from Lian Li?

As nice as Lian Li cases are they dont even come close to the quality of the G5 or Mac Pro case. From the guage of aluminum used right down to the lever access design not even close.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
You could try posting on LEMswap to see if anyone has anything. Really though, the best place is to stalk eBay until you find a great deal. may take a while, but it's definitely the best way to get inexpensive stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.