Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aLfR3dd

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
hi,
ok i think i will switch from Pc to Mac as soon as Leopard and the new Quad Macs ship (hopefully in June!!) ......everybody is suggesting me to buy ram not from Apple Store.......can you please help me?? i would like to have 16gb of ram ......should i take of the 2x512 gb's that ship with the Mac Pro and add my 8x2 sticks??? ...and most important where to buy?? new egg - crucial? Thanks :apple:

Retired
May 16, 2006
Prices are always changing, check back in June, or whenever the mac you want comes out...

eMagine

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
right now the best place to buy seems to be OWC. You can get 16gigs of Apple certified Heatsink FB-Dimm for around $2050. I have them in my Mac Pro, no problems here.

aLfR3dd

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
right now the best place to buy seems to be OWC. You can get 16gigs of Apple certified Heatsink FB-Dimm for around $2050. I have them in my Mac Pro, no problems here.

Ok....the important thing is that i have the same quality of the Ram of Apple's Store....!

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I wouldn't recommend Crucial, at least not until the curb their dynamic pricing practices -- Crucial's pricing is affected by what browser, platform and browsing path you employed to find the product you're looking at.

If you find the same memory in a "kit" as singles, there is usually a price difference. If you compare the memory between white and black MacBooks, there's a difference in price.

Yes, Crucial makes very good RAM and they are (sometimes) what Apple includes as OEM memory, but deceptive sales practices turn me off. There's plenty of discussion of this issue: 1, 2, 3, 4.

Data Memory Systems offers the same warranty (30-day return, lifetime replacement) on high-quality memory for less than Crucial without any of the "flexible" pricing schemes.

This link tracks the prices on 2GBx8 configurations:
http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/systems/Apple-Mac-Pro-/44047/2GBx8.html
(8 Apple Approved DMS 2GB DIMMs: $1,992.00)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.