Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yann906

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Hi there! I hope I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but I've been searching literally everywhere for like 3 months to buy a Thunderbolt 2 dock so I could add USB 3.0 on my mid-2011 iMac.
I know that such docks did exist since I found a some on internet but they are all discontinued. I couldn't find any on Amazon, same deal on eBay. If someone here knows where I could find one, I'd be forever thankful!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I found some on eBay. You can also use TB1 and TB3 docks. I am currently using a TB1 dock on my Late 2011 17" MBP and a TB3 dock on my Late 2012 27" iMac.

For the TB3 dock, you will need the Apple Bi-Directional TB3>TB2 adapter:

You can probably find TB3 docks cheaper, but you need the adapter with it.

Reactions: entropi

Aesthetica

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
I found some on eBay. You can also use TB1 and TB3 docks. I am currently using a TB1 dock on my Late 2011 17" MBP and a TB3 dock on my Late 2012 27" iMac.

For the TB3 dock, you will need the Apple Bi-Directional TB3>TB2 adapter:

You can probably find TB3 docks cheaper, but you need the adapter with it.

Which TB3 dock do you use? I think it has to be powered separately?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Which TB3 dock do you use? I think it has to be powered separately?
CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 3 Lite.

I am unsure what you mean about powered separately, I guess you mean that it is not powered by the bus? If so, that yes, it has its own power supply.

I have been using it for a few weeks now and it is fine. One thing about this dock is that there seems to be a slight increase of overhead versus my TB1 dock. Either way, it is a good way to get get TB3, USB3, USBc, and other useful ports on a nearly decade old Mac.

I purchased a Samsung X5 to use as a boot drive on my Late 2012 iMac. It is a TB3 NVMe SSD. I am getting 815 Write speeds and 880 Read speeds. A lot faster than the internal SSD.

I haven't tested the USBc ports, but I will soon.

kazaka

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2020
I have bought one the other day!

You can find them on eBay used, because they are very difficult to get one new these days ... there are some retailers that still sell them but they are very expensive!! ... Manufacturers now build TB3 docks... hope you can find one as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.