Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
It is said that iTunes 12.9 has released by Apple, but I couldn't find where to download it, does anyone give a link?
Some days ago, I downloaded iOS12 to my iPhone6Plus so that iTunes can't sync music to iphone, then upgraded my Mac mini from Mavericks to El Capitan and jope to installed iTunes 12.9 to sync music.

beachdude42

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I have a related question... how do I get iTunes 12.9 BACK on Mojave after uninstalling it? I uninstalled iTunes earlier, as I had done in the past, to try to fix some sluggishness with the intent of reinstalling it from Apple's website. However, the only installer available on Apple's site for Mac is for iTunes 12.8, which isn't allowed to install on Mojave. And I can't figure out a way to get iTunes to reinstall on my Mac via either the new Software Update feature or the App Store. Very frustrating.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a related question... how do I get iTunes 12.9 BACK on Mojave after uninstalling it? I uninstalled iTunes earlier, as I had done in the past, to try to fix some sluggishness with the intent of reinstalling it from Apple's website. However, the only installer available on Apple's site for Mac is for iTunes 12.8, which isn't allowed to install on Mojave. And I can't figure out a way to get iTunes to reinstall on my Mac via either the new Software Update feature or the App Store. Very frustrating.
You'll need to reinstall Mojave from the full installer.

toprak

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
Here's the thing, I have quite an old iMac (2008) running El Capitan. I installed Windows 7 on bootcamp the other day, chose its iTunes library as the one I've been using on OS X, Windows instantly updated the iTunes library to 12.9. So now, my OS X can not choose it, telling me "The file iTunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes." Any solutions?

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I have the same problem but with High Sierra and Mojave.

My iTunes library was last opened with iTunes 12.9 running under macOS 10.14.2.
I now had to revert back to macOS 10.13 and am unable to open it, because it claims it'd been created by a newer version of iTunes.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to download iTunes 12.9 for High Sierra or iTunes 12.8 for Mojave. Any solutions?

Tilosoueu

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
I have the same problem but with High Sierra and Mojave.

My iTunes library was last opened with iTunes 12.9 running under macOS 10.14.2.
I now had to revert back to macOS 10.13 and am unable to open it, because it claims it'd been created by a newer version of iTunes.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to download iTunes 12.9 for High Sierra or iTunes 12.8 for Mojave. Any solutions?

Same here... Is there a solution? I managed to create a new library but my smart playlists are all messed up because I cannot restore the metadata.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Nope, no solution at all. Now that iTunes is tied to macOS there is no way to either get 12.8 running on Mojave or 12.9 on High Sierra. I ended up wiping my MacBook and reinstalling High Sierra from scratch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.