Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kais58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
So I have my Mac Pro running Mojave, but want to run the firmware updates on it, this means running the high Sierra installer, but that won’t run at all on Mojave so going to install Sierra in another drive and go from there, but in Mojave the App Store won’t let me dl old OSX, so anyone know where I can get a direct link to the whole thing?

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
It wasn't available through the "Tools" pop down? Is your machine capable of running these OS's or are you patching them in? I got all my tools and necessary OS files through the Patcher without running the patch.

kais58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
It wasn't available through the "Tools" pop down? Is your machine capable of running these OS's or are you patching them in? I got all my tools and necessary OS files through the Patcher without running the patch.
Nope, all I have is in screenshot attached

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 00.09.35.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 00.09.35.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 314

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
That's what I get. The patcher found the OS installer somewhere in the machine already. Click on the circle with arrow and it will open a window take you to the folder where the installer is. It's probably in your Applications folder. Mine's in a folder on a separate storage drive with the patcher.

If you have to use the patcher to install just do it through the patcher. I do that to refresh my installs. But it would have to be on a cleaned drive.

kais58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
That's what I get. The patcher found the OS installer somewhere in the machine already. Click on the circle with arrow and it will open a window take you to the folder where the installer is. It's probably in your Applications folder. Mine's in a folder on a separate storage drive with the patcher.

If you have to use the patcher to install just do it through the patcher. I do that to refresh my installs. But it would have to be on a cleaned drive.
Right, but it doesn't find it, I've never downloaded it before, currently running Mojave, so can't use the App Store to get it either.

kais58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
What do you mean? what did it come with? I'm not certain as it's 2nd hand but it's a Mac Pro 4,1, now flashed to an early 5,1 firmware.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
That's exact machine I want. I have a 3,1 that I had HS and Mojavé on and went back to Sierra. It's been great.

Last edited:

kais58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, it's a nice machine, thanks for your assistance, all sorted now :)

kais58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
So were you able to use the installer I posted? What did you do?
Yep, I used that to install Sierra on a spare HDD, then from in that install ran the high Sierra installer to get the first firmware upgrade, swapped back to my Mojave HDD and my metal suppported RX 560, then ran the Mojave installer to get to firmware 144, now all sorted waiting for Catalina release and compatibility patches

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Great!! I was afraid I took that down too soon. So glad I could help. I remember those days of jumping all over to do things. I'm just getting out of the Beta racket and as soon as the Public Release for my AppleTV 4K comes out, I'll be taking that off the Beta listing. tvOS 13 really screwed up my ATV4K to the point it was unusable. Another big problem is the that software is going in directions that I don't like and to run certain apps on the new OS's you have to update and either I'm not spending the money or "subscribing", I hate that the most.

Good Luck and have fun. I use to . . . It was something to do when I got bored at 3am. Breaking things, just to fix them and get the feeling of accomplishment. Now that I am older, I use booze.

Take Care and Safe Journeys . . .
. . . fb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.