Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacConsultant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Would like to re-install AOL application (not desktop) on an iMac running 10.6 and 10.7. Cannot find a good link to get the installer, and the installers are not on these iMacs.

Looking for links to Ye Olde Legacy AOL, not the "AOL Desktop".

Anyone ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I found this - https://help.aol.com/articles/AOL-for-Mac-OS-X-Installer--FOR-EXISTING-USH1191

It's AOL version 7.4 - from 2005.
And, I just tried it. It's a PowerPC app, so you can't use it on Lion. but will work with 10.6 (if you have the rosetta installed on 10.6).

I actually had a copy of that installer from when I used to use AOL, so if I recall correctly, it's the last version before the AOL Desktop versions.
I'm guessing that you need the Dialup support which would have been part of the AOL app, but dropped in the Desktop (I think!) - If that's correct - good luck on actually finding a dialup to call into. This area (Delaware/Maryland) used to have dozens of alternate AOL dialups. I last checked about 6 months ago, and there's only one or two are left, and it is a lot of hope just staying connected for more than a few minutes (I tried it out after several years since I last used dialup!)

MacConsultant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
I found this - https://help.aol.com/articles/AOL-for-Mac-OS-X-Installer--FOR-EXISTING-USH1191

It's AOL version 7.4 - from 2005.
And, I just tried it. It's a PowerPC app, so you can't use it on Lion. but will work with 10.6 (if you have the rosetta installed on 10.6).

I actually had a copy of that installer from when I used to use AOL, so if I recall correctly, it's the last version before the AOL Desktop versions.
I'm guessing that you need the Dialup support which would have been part of the AOL app, but dropped in the Desktop (I think!) - If that's correct - good luck on actually finding a dialup to call into. This area (Delaware/Maryland) used to have dozens of alternate AOL dialups. I last checked about 6 months ago, and there's only one or two are left, and it is a lot of hope just staying connected for more than a few minutes (I tried it out after several years since I last used dialup!)

Very nice! Eight of us have been scouring the Net for over a week using every search engine, and the closet thing was an earlier version on a UK site, and that did not work.

BUT tried that installer from your link on my 10.68 MacBook and it starts to launch, then quits. Rosetta is installed.

Not using dial-up. She is using TCP/IP and her AOL was working until a week ago.

Despite many people degrading AOL Legacy, it has some nice features not found in other clients.

Can you find another installer or link ?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I got the AOL app to work.
Here's what I did:
The AOL installer starts to launch in Snow Leopard, then quits (same as you reported). I think it's simply an installer that is just too old for Snow Leopard.
I booted to a Leopard system, and the installer ran completely. The AOL app is in the Applications folder, so I copied just the AOL app to a Snow Leopard system, and just put the app on the desktop.
I tried launching the app, and it said that some components were missing, and it could repair that by clicking "Next". Tried that, and it brought up the AOL login window. Looks like it will work, but the old AOL installer won't work on a Snow Leopard system.
(I have a hard drive that has basic system installs of everything from 10.4 to 10.10. Comes in really handy for a situation like yours. All I need is to choose a Mac that will boot with the system that I need to use for testing.)

Do you have an older Mac that you can use to extract the AOL app? Leopard works great for that...

MacConsultant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
I got the AOL app to work.
Here's what I did:
The AOL installer starts to launch in Snow Leopard, then quits (same as you reported). I think it's simply an installer that is just too old for Snow Leopard.
I booted to a Leopard system, and the installer ran completely. The AOL app is in the Applications folder, so I copied just the AOL app to a Snow Leopard system, and just put the app on the desktop.
I tried launching the app, and it said that some components were missing, and it could repair that by clicking "Next". Tried that, and it brought up the AOL login window. Looks like it will work, but the old AOL installer won't work on a Snow Leopard system.
(I have a hard drive that has basic system installs of everything from 10.4 to 10.10. Comes in really handy for a situation like yours. All I need is to choose a Mac that will boot with the system that I need to use for testing.)

Do you have an older Mac that you can use to extract the AOL app? Leopard works great for that...

You are super-good and helpful.

In essence have already done that but with a copy of the same AOL app. and with discarding the five files/folders (which at least once a year need to be discarded and rebuilt). It gave the messages you described, then came to the sign on screen. Got the "HELL" part of "HELLO" then it crashed with the usual bad access message.

Perhaps the OS or APP is corrupt. Will try to find a 10.5 machine and transfer only the App to the 10.68 machine. If no success, will re-install the OS. She wants to stay at 10.68 for several reasons, including three other apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.