Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lynne326

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Hello! Does anyone know where I can download Yosemite OS X? I upgraded my HDD to SDD and the only option I have is to install Catalina. But, Catalina won't run my old Office 2008 and Adobe CS6 programs. I need a 32 bit OS. Yosemite came originally with my computer, but it's outdated and not in the App store any longer. I can't find it anywhere to download but I know it has to be out there somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Lynne

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hello! Does anyone know where I can download Yosemite OS X? I upgraded my HDD to SDD and the only option I have is to install Catalina. But, Catalina won't run my old Office 2008 and Adobe CS6 programs. I need a 32 bit OS. Yosemite came originally with my computer, but it's outdated and not in the App store any longer. I can't find it anywhere to download but I know it has to be out there somewhere.

Lynne
See the "Download macOS" section for the Yosemite download link:

EDIT: You will not be able to download & install Yosemite while running in Catalina. You will also have to erase your drive completely (WARNING: all data will be lost so have a back up) to get rid of the volumes created by Catalina and to change from APFS format to Mac OS Extended (journaled) format. It is very tricky to revert back from Catalina.

Last edited:

Lynne326

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks. I did already erase my disk. Is it possible to install Yosemite from an external drive?

Last edited:

Lynne326

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
So I found a download of Yosemite and have it on an external drive. How would I go about installing it to my blank drive?

I've tried all these and I can't see the external drive:

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 121

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization

Lynne
I'd recommend Mojave, is the last OS that supports 32 bit apps.

When I tried to install Mojave from internet into a new SSD for my 2015 rMBP I followed the official apple instructions and failed miserably: ended up going to an Apple Store, where they have a "Mojave server" (and Yosemite, and Captain, and every other one not yet rendered vintage) that your laptop can hook up to and install directly.

If going to an apple store is an option for you, I'd recommend it fullheartedly. You'll be in an out in about 1 hour.

Lynne326

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
I'm not sure Apple store would work on it since I replaced the hard drive myself. Supposedly that goes against their terms of service.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
I'm not sure Apple store would work on it since I replaced the hard drive myself. Supposedly that goes against their terms of service.
I replaced the drive myself with an SSD blade I got from OWC.

They didn't had a trouble with it, and were indeed very helpful. Their terms of service prohibit them to sell you a drive that they do not support, but they do offer support with your Mac even after you do it yourself.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
cdcastillo, how much did Apple charge to install the OS?
Nothing. I just made an appointment, explained my situation (the need to install Mojave instead of Catalina) and the apple genius that tended to me hooked me up in the store to the local wired network (they provided the ethernet adapter) and up we went.

Formating and installation took less than 40 minutes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.