Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
As owner of a new iPad Air 5 with 64 gig storage only, I am looking for an external USBC that plugs into it and can be used for typical read / write access. I cannot see any recommendations on the Apple Website. Am I right in thinking I can just plug a USB drive in and the Files App will see and can access the data I might want to write and read from or do I need a special cable Or hub? I also have FileBrowser Pro. Have tried to access a WD portable SSD but nothing shows up. Any ideas please or drive recommendations - I do not understand if a flash drive is necessary or not?

Many thanks.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Get a Samsung T5 or T7, or a Sandisk Extreme SSD. Use only FileBrowser Pro. If you like to copy data directly between 2 external devices or if you want to charge the iPad while copying data, get a hub. I use this one from Uni and/or this from Targus, but others can for sure recommend additional models which works without problem wi5h your iPad.

Reactions: emembee

emembee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
So will it show up in FB Pro when plugged in? It would not be powered except by the iPad USBC connection? As I said earlier, I tried a WD SSD Portable I have but it does not show, so wondering if it has to be in a specific format like APFS or ExFAT ?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
So will it show up in FB Pro when plugged in? It would not be powered except by the iPad USBC connection?
The SSDs I mentioned will show up in Apple’s Files automatically.
To use them with FileBrowserPro(FBP) you have to add them there first.
As I said earlier, I tried a WD SSD Portable I have but it does not show, so wondering if it has to be in a specific format like APFS or ExFAT ?
If you connected the WD SSD and fired up FBP, there wasn’t anything to see.
External devices or folders, well, specific folders in general, NAS etc. will never automatically appear in FBP.

This is not how FBP works.

This is:
  • You connect e.g. an external USB-C SSD to your iPad. The WD SSD for example.
  • You should be able to see this drive in Apple’s Files (as long as it uses one of the file systems supported by iPadOS¹).
  • Now you open FBP and switch to the home tab. In the lower right corner is a (+)-sign labeled + Add Location:
  1. Click it and select from the next window USB.
  2. Use Select Location to map the SSD you connected to USB-C to FBP.
  3. Give it a name - the icon of the SSD - which btw. you are able to change -on the home screen of FBP will use this as label.

F7F1D6B7-DAB2-40EB-9D9C-5CB45CD21B68.jpeg

Above is a screenshot of the home tab in FBP.
See Samsung_T5 and T7 with the red USB drive symbols? Or the grey HD icons? - these are some of the spinning HDs; the yellow USB logos refer to USB-C sticks.

None of these appeared automatically.

I added them when I had that specific drive connected. Their mapped/linked symbol stays in the home tab of FBP.

To access for example the T7 shown, I have to connect it first to the iPad, then I click on its symbol in FBP… et voilà!… FBP opens the SSD in its own new tab and I can access it to copy, play videos from, move things around, etc.

Maybe the WD SSD (which model?) was actually totally¹ fine² (?)

•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•
¹if the drive can be viewed by macOS, then typically it can be viewed by iPadOS 15. Apple says the Ex-FAT, FAT-32, HSF+, and APFS formats are supported as far as external storage is concerned, NTFS is read only. This means pulling a hard drive straight out of a Windows device and plugging it into your iPad may not work, but using storage devices that already work with both macOS and Windows will.

²Please be aware that some external storage media require more voltage than the iPad provides - in this case you’ll need an additional powered USB-C hub to use it. Many hubs allow not only to connect and power several devices but the iPad as well. Additionally with hub you can use FBP to copy files directly between connected devices, no temporary copy on the iPad is needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

emembee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Many thanks for advice, but the WD does not show up on Files, neither on FBP as you explained. Think I will have to wait till I get the T5 as the WD SSD passport is an older model from about 3 years ago.. Will post an update if and when I get it working!

emembee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Ok so it was me, the usbc through my logitech case was not connecting properly so took off case and all good, my WD Drives are showing up fine and I can copy and view, play files, great!

Reactions: Slartibart

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Get a Samsung T5 or T7, or a Sandisk Extreme SSD. Use only FileBrowser Pro. If you like to copy data directly between 2 external devices or if you want to charge the iPad while copying data, get a hub. I use this one from Uni and/or this from Targus, but others can for sure recommend additional models which works without problem wi5h your iPad.

This Uni USB-C hub is almost perfect for me… just wish it had a USB-C for power and one for data. I have no use for USB-A anymore.

The reason this hub is almost perfect is that I want to buy a USB-C 90-degree angle cable so I can have it plugged into my iPad and not awkwardly sticking out the side. Most hubs have the USB-C cable that goes into the computer hard-wired in… this one is a separate connector and would work w/ a right angle cable.

Not going to buy a hub until iPadOS 16 releases and I can use proper external monitor support, so maybe a company will release one in time…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.