Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madhatter707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2023
Hello,

Does anyone know of any trusted brands in the EU that sell 5 watt chargers? I’ve read that using a slower 5 watt charger will generate less heat and make the battery health last longer due to less heat exposure. Amazon Spain and even one of the stores near me in the town where I live sell MFI certified cables from lesser known brands with 5 watt chargers. The chargers themselves aren’t MFi certified according to Apple’s website, only the cables are. Searches online for “Anker/Belkin/Ugreen 5 watt charger” come up dry. I have the Gen 1 iPhone SE as a secondary and my 12 mini as my primary, so fast charging speed isn’t the most important thing for me. I’m using the 12 watt Apple brand USB-A chargers.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The original 5 watt charger that Apple used to include with every new iPhone was originally designed for the minuscule iPhone 4 battery (1420mAh).
Today’s iPhone 15 battery is 3349 mAh. More than 2X larger.
The Apple recommended charger size for the iPhone 15 models is their 20 watt charger, and there’s no reason to suspect that it will degrade the battery at all.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
OP maybe go for 2.1 amp (10 watt) charger instead, its faster than a 5w charger but not as fast as a 20w charger so does not produce that much heat. I been using these for the last few years e.g. my 13 mini only lost 1% capacity in one year this way.

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
As someone who used to have battery anxiety, stop. For your own good.

Even a power user can get 2 years from a battery. I don't know the price of a new battery at an Apple Store, but Google says it's $99. So let's say you need one in 2 years.

You have 730 days to "save" $99. That's 14 cents per day. Just use your phone and honestly stop worrying about heat or battery "rules" like 40-80% charge. I wish someone had knocked some sense into me sooner.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Does anyone know of any trusted brands in the EU that sell 5 watt chargers?
Official Apple Authorized Partners still offer original Apple 5W chargers (MD813ZM/A).
Just bought a couple of these for our 13 minis and SE 2nd gen.
If it actually helps delaying a future battery replacement, great.
If not, we don't care in the slightest if charging in the evening/night takes a little longer. But that may vary by model and individual usage.

(Just avoid eBay… I always received fake ones advertised as genuine.)

The Destroyer

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Toronto
I recommend just using the Apple 12W charger you have as well. There was a YouTube video posted last month where a user tested the 5W vs the 12W and the phone temperatures were within 2* F between the chargers, so not really a risk to battery degradation.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
As someone who used to have battery anxiety, stop. For your own good.

Even a power user can get 2 years from a battery. I don't know the price of a new battery at an Apple Store, but Google says it's $99. So let's say you need one in 2 years.

You have 730 days to "save" $99. That's 14 cents per day. Just use your phone and honestly stop worrying about heat or battery "rules" like 40-80% charge. I wish someone had knocked some sense into me sooner.
or better yet, put $100 on the side when you first purchase the phone for a future battery replacement. If you don't end up needing to use it, even better! if you need to use it, there it is! Win win.

Reactions: AnthroMatt

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
After A year of great care, my iPhone 12PM had only 91% of battery health. Then I stopped worrying about it and charged whenever I wanted. Now, after 2 years of careless charging ( never left it plugged whole night though), it has 83% of battery. So, charge it as you like. If you don’t need fully charged phone for your daily usage or you have chargers available everywhere, set the battery level to 80% and don’t leave it plugged in while you sleep.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’d either get an original 5w charger or just use the 12w one you have. That said, the 12w isn’t a fast charger, so I doubt the difference is too noticeable, but the 12 Mini shouldn’t take too long with a 5w regardless.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I bought a USB-A to USB-C cable from Anker and use my old Apple 5 watt charging black to charge my 15 PM every night.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Up until recently, Amazon had Philips 5w chargers for sale. In US store, page has been pulled. So might try a web search for the Philips.

Home Depot in US still sells a Philips 5w, but yeah, US.

But as other's said, the 12w charger is not that big a "problem" as higher wattage chargers. And can maybe minimize even more by charging when at 50% or higher: Apple devices fast charge up to about 60% and then "trickle" charge after that.

(Note: might be different these days, but in the past, charging tests showed that ~60% and higher is where things plateau)

Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.