Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
I just ordered a 2008 black MacBook (whoo-hoo!) and would like a silicone keyboard cover. But all I can find are outdated covers that don't match the newer keyboard. EDIT: I read that these keyboards are the same as the new ultra-thin wireless Apple keyboard -- here's a link but not sure if it's gonna fit: http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=117

I did read some reviews of the Sonnet Carapace on Apple Store -- and people said it was too thick -- too hard to type on. iSkin makes covers for MacBook but apparently not the newer models.

Thanks!

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Sprint:pPC6800)

I have an iskin for my sr mb, and it fits. the only thing that is different is that on the opaque ones (as opposed to transucent or semi-translucent ones), the keys are printed on the skin and some of the upper ones are labeled incorrectly (dashboard, volume, etc)

I have a translucent one and it fits just fine...

Pacer69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
>and some of the upper ones are labeled incorrectly (dashboard, volume, etc)

Thanks, but yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I know I can get one of these outdated ones; I want one that matches the currrent MB keyboard layout.

lxuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
hey pacer

i just bought a new macbook (2.4ghz whitebook) 3 days ago, and at my store they had the KB covers, i picked up 2 because they were on sale, and they both fit wonderfully so dont worry about that.

they work great, are very thin and easy to type on. they are washable too, which is nice. They have ones for the updated keyboard, and those without the new f key marks still fit flawlessly and none of the keys are incorrectly labeled, its that they dont have a logo on them for like pause, fast forward, dashboard, etc but none say they are a key that they arent. i got one hebrew cover and one with photoshop shortcut keys, couldnt be happier.

i think these look a bit nicer than the iskins, they look oem!

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
hey pacer

i just bought a new macbook (2.4ghz whitebook) 3 days ago, and at my store they had the KB covers, i picked up 2 because they were on sale, and they both fit wonderfully so dont worry about that.

they work great, are very thin and easy to type on. they are washable too, which is nice. They have ones for the updated keyboard, and those without the new f key marks still fit flawlessly and none of the keys are incorrectly labeled, its that they dont have a logo on them for like pause, fast forward, dashboard, etc but none say they are a key that they arent. i got one hebrew cover and one with photoshop shortcut keys, couldnt be happier.

A friend of mine bought a iSkin for his Macbook 2.4 ghz, BUT, when he run apps like Sibelius and Logic 8 the fans just goes crazy! But when he removed the iSkin, they did'nt. So I've decided not to get one for my new Blackbook 2.4 ghz... + the iSkin was VERY hot, and i felt it too, when I touched his... ehm,, you know - iSkin :D

Pacer69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
hey pacer

Cool, can you tell me the brand name and are you talking about Apple Store or some other store? Thanks! Thanks, everyone!

lxuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
A friend of mine bought a iSkin for his Macbook 2.4 ghz, BUT, when he run apps like Sibelius and Logic 8 the fans just goes crazy! But when he removed the iSkin, they did'nt. So I've decided not to get one for my new Blackbook 2.4 ghz... + the iSkin was VERY hot, and i felt it too, when I touched his... ehm,, you know - iSkin :D

weird! I did some heavy rendering in final cut last night and my kbcover was cool to the touch all night, at first i thought it might be your friend having an old macbook with the original vent configuration, but i read it was a 2.4 which i think means it is a new one? maybe the iskin is thicker? my cover doesnt heat up at all, and i just felt underneath too and its cool also...

paradox haha! anyway, maybe ill check out an iskin at the store, see if their keyboards underneath feel any hotter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.