Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Use tax kinda depends on the state. Some states only require it for businesses and not individuals.

Obviously I only have personal experience where I have lived. I know both CA and MA requires it. They also happen to be Democratic stronholds lol. I would be willing to bed most states that boarder sales tax free states are the same, for obvious reasons. I don't care enough to look it up, because it neither effects me, nor will it push folks to all of the sudden start declaring. If you are going to buy something from a sales tax free state it is to avoid taxes anyway.

EDIT: Based on this article, "Forty-five states have a use tax." I know I said I wouldn't look it up, but now I got curious. It's really the only article I found that didn't require me to look through each and every state. Yeah... I'll pass on doing that for sure lol.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Woo tax evasion! How neat is that?

You're going to pay tax on it. End of thread.

It's called tax avoidance and it's not illegal. If a seller doesn't charge sales tax, then you don't have to pay it. It is on them to report the sale and pay the tax.

Avoidance and evasion are two different things. One is illegal and one is not.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I live in Delaware. No sales tax, and it's AWESOME. Especially since I lived in Illinois and Pennsylvania previously, which both have rather high tax rates.

I even read somewhere that the Apple store in Christiana Mall (which is where I'll be buying my iPhone 6) sells more iPhones than any other Apple store in the country, because it's conveniently located within a hour of three very high-tax areas (Maryland, PA and especially Philadelphia, and New Jersey).

When I bought my MacBook Pro, it was an hour drive down from my house in Philly, but I saved more on tax than I spent on gas and came out like $100 ahead.

Daud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
No useful reply. Seems that -6% via Discover might be the best option.

aznfromthecongo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I'm not sure if the Military Exchanges are selling iPhone 6s yet, but there isn't supposed to be sales tax on military bases if that helps at all.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
But WHY? Taxes are just a tool to keep people under control. I'm all for saving money where possible. Excuse my language, but EFF taxes when possible.

Also I would like to add something I've been saying or a long time- Some laws are unlawful.

If you can't figure out what that means, then just keep living how you're living if that works for you. It doesn't work for me.

Taxes are to support people who do not work like our government and the entitlement plantation.:cool:

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
How will he even get on a military installation?

Pretty easily. All the bases I've been to have visitor's passes. Got a friend who has a military ID? Get them to sign you on and be your sponsor. A pass can be issued for 24 hours (or less) up to I think 30 days if there's a legitimate reason. The shorter ones are very easy to get, you really don't even need a reason other than your sponsor says he wants you to come on base for something.

Now, depending on the base you may or may not be able to walk into the BX/PX and make a purchase. Sometimes they make you show your military ID and sometimes they don't.

If you know someone with a valid ID, they can log into aafes.com and purchase that way as well.

edit- note that military personnel tend to resent civilians who do this sort of thing, so I would not go around announcing it. I used to think that way and still do to an extent, but anymore I think, eh, who cares. If someone can save some money they may as well try.

Just don't go to the base gym and keep the military guys from being able to use equipment. That'll really piss them off.

Nikomanz

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Washington, D.C.
I paid $50 bucks in taxes for my iPhone because of the draconian laws here in D.C.

I wish I had it shipped to my international address in my home abroad, but then I would have to wait until late October to get it.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Sales tax on my 128 GB i6 was $46. Not worth the hassle to avoid, and if you can't afford the modest sales tax, you can't afford the phone.

aznfromthecongo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Pretty easily. All the bases I've been to have visitor's passes. Got a friend who has a military ID? Get them to sign you on and be your sponsor. A pass can be issued for 24 hours (or less) up to I think 30 days if there's a legitimate reason. The shorter ones are very easy to get, you really don't even need a reason other than your sponsor says he wants you to come on base for something.

Now, depending on the base you may or may not be able to walk into the BX/PX and make a purchase. Sometimes they make you show your military ID and sometimes they don't.

If you know someone with a valid ID, they can log into aafes.com and purchase that way as well.

edit- note that military personnel tend to resent civilians who do this sort of thing, so I would not go around announcing it. I used to think that way and still do to an extent, but anymore I think, eh, who cares. If someone can save some money they may as well try.

Just don't go to the base gym and keep the military guys from being able to use equipment. That'll really piss them off.
Just like powerstrokin said, all you need to do is find a friend with a Military ID (active, retired or dependent) and you'll be able to walk right through the front gate with them, then buy stuff at the exchange. If anybody ask for your Military ID at checkout, just use your friends and everything works out perfectly.

Gibraltar

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
I think you don't pay tax in Oregon... I ordered it through Opas.com which is a forwarding company (I don't live in the US, so I needed a US address to deliver it and then they send it to me). Besides being able to purchase my iPhone and having it send to me, another benefit of buying with them is that my "virtual" address is based on Oregon... where you don't pay any sales tax! :)

Important to mention this is my first time using the service... so I hope everythong goes well! haha.

Did you receive your iPhone outside of US successfully?
Wouldn't the shipping charges from US to your country make the price same as purchasing with taxes.
Can I trust opas.com with my credit card details.

SarahKirschbaum

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
You're about 3 year later to respond to that post.
This was posted back in 2014.

better late than never?

besides, this thread got bumped up just in time.

My friend from Finland will be visiting me next month. She plans to buy a new iPhone 7 Plus without paying sales tax. She will be flying to NYC, but leaves from Washington(IAD) a couple of weeks later. I'll be meeting her in Philly, so I plan to drive her to Delaware so she can buy one from the Apple Store or Best Buy without tax. (activating it with my Verizon SIM, so it will become unlocked forever)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
better late than never?

besides, this thread got bumped up just in time.

My friend from Finland will be visiting me next month. She plans to buy a new iPhone 7 Plus without paying sales tax. She will be flying to NYC, but leaves from Washington(IAD) a couple of weeks later. I'll be meeting her in Philly, so I plan to drive her to Delaware so she can buy one from the Apple Store or Best Buy without tax. (activating it with my Verizon SIM, so it will become unlocked forever)

Or you could also drive to New Hampsure and get it tax free.
Live free or die. I like their slogan:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.