Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
Ok,

Ive got this great idea for a website I want to make. I have not done anything with making webpages since I used frontpage to make a PBeM website 6 years ago.

I own a pb now and just downloaded Studio mx 2004 trail but I have not even opened it yet let alone know how to use it. I am a quickstudy and think I can pull this off with in 3 mo's as long as dreamweaver and flash pro are not dufficult to use. If I like them and I make good progress I'll buy them.

Heres the Questions,

I have my site name in mind and its not being used, where should I register the domain? I dont have much money.

Where should I host?, Can I keep a domain name and switch hosts? How does it work? I'd like to find a host after I have the website made offline if I can.

Are there any easy to read books that are recommended for Studio mx 2004?

Is it legal to purchase the software used from ebay if the original license was academic and I am not a student?

Thanks,

Barclay

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Will try to answer some of the questions

Cloud9 said:
I have my site name in mind and its not being used, where should I register the domain? I dont have much money.

Where did you check at? At a domain name registrar? Who was it? You could use them. Or I would recommend GoDaddy to register domains with. (Sorry for all the short questions here ;))

Cloud9 said:
Where should I host?

There are many web hosts out there. You can even check this forum (Web Design and Development) for recommendations. Do a Google search to find reviews on what other people think.

Cloud9 said:
Can I keep a domain name and switch hosts? How does it work?

I know the way I did I can. I used GoDaddy for registering a domain name and a separate host for my website. If you go this route the webhost should send you a welcome email; which should include their name servers (I think at least 2). You get these name servers and input them into your domain name account at the registrar; ie: GoDaddy. Then that URL will go to those name servers at your host then to your actual website on their servers.

That way is if you have your domain name registered with a separate place other than you web hosts. Some people register their domain name with their web host. I read somewhere a while back to register your domain name with another company other than your web host, that way they don't have total control over your site's stuff (domain name/web space). I've heard sometimes the web host can mess things up with your domain name or something. I dunno, not sure if that's all true, but it's up to the individual.

Cloud9 said:
I'd like to find a host after I have the website made offline if I can.

You can do that. Just have start with a root folder (where index.htm located), and once you got things working on your local machine you can venture out out find a host.

Hope that didn't confuse too much. If you need anything cleared up just post back. And I'm sure other members will post to. I know CanadaRAM is knowledgeable is this area as he's posted in similar threads regarding this topic. I know it may sound hard right now, but it really isn't that hard :)

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
GoDaddy is good for domains.

Where should I host?, Can I keep a domain name and switch hosts? How does it work? I'd like to find a host after I have the website made offline if I can.
TJR Networks. You can change the nameservers associated with your domain name in the GoDaddy CP if you decide to change hosts.

I'd like to find a host after I have the website made offline if I can.
You can do that. Just have start with a root folder (where index.htm located), and once you got things working on your local machine you can venture out out find a host.

That's true. However, if you are going to be using PHP or MySQL you will need to install them on your machine. But it's probably easier just to pay a few extra months of hosting. :)

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
good books for mx 2004?

I found what seems like some good rates from a small orange . Mostly I just like their companies name though, kind of cute and unassuming. I mean Ill be making this thing on a piece of fruit so why not have it hosted by one.

So from what I get, I can rent the name and space from different companies but if I do it from the same companies I might run into problems later? I plan on having this site up for awhile and I might eventually get free hosting but I will want to keep the name.

More importantly, as I start to sink my teeth into dreamweaver and flash pro, what series of books do you reccomend for these programs? I might get into some techie animations but I dont plan on writing any code so ill just have to stay with in the bounds of the software which will be fine. Essentially I want this thing to look like your navigating a dvd. The site will be for the most part black and white and the animations silouete based.

Thanx

b

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Cloud9 said:
So from what I get, I can rent the name and space from different companies but if I do it from the same companies I might run into problems later?

That's just something someone else told me when I was doing what you're doing right now. Really depends on the individual. Maybe someone that has a website like this can share their story....? :)

Cloud9 said:
I plan on having this site up for awhile and I might eventually get free hosting but I will want to keep the name.

Yea that's the thing. If you registered your domain name with the hosting company, I'm not sure what the policy is; like not sure if they'll if keep your domain name registered for you without hosting with them.

As for a Small Orange. They are mentioned here quite a bit and used here by some members (such as edesignuk). So I'm sure they're a trusted and reputable company.

Oh yeah, as for books. I read one book called the Dreamweaver H.O.T. (Hand On Training) book in school; Google search, but that was about 2 years ago. Not too sure of any good books out now. I know they're out there, but I don't have any I could recommend at this time.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I went with GoDaddy for registration and Dreamhost for hosting. Everything is working out well.

I was with A Small Orange, who are excellent and provide unbelievable service, but changed to DH because they provided so much more bang for the buck. You won't go wrong with either though.

As for learning how to use the Macromedia Suite, I found Lydna.com useful. Some people, like me, find video tutorials easier than learning from a book. Nothing beats getting down and dirty with the app and tinkering though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.