Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillyJP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
I bought a new Mac Book Air at my local Apple Store. When I presented my old, 2019 Mac Book Pro, that was sold to me as "brand new, special order" by a Simply Mac store, the Apple Store turned it down as a trade in on the grounds that it's serial number was in the "Device Enhancement Program" which meant that it had been owned by some corporate entity, likely some business!! I was totally stunned because when I bought the Mac Book Pro in July, 2019, I had to wait 2 weeks "for delivery from Apple." I had left an older laptop with them and paid extra for them to transfer my data and set up the new computer. So I never saw the "new" computer in its factory box, but I trusted Simply Mac that they weren't lying to me!! Unfortunately, Simply Mac has gone belly-up (poetic justice!!), so there will be no setting things right there. But I'm wondering, since the Apple Store won't take it, does anyone have a suggestion for selling a used Mac? I'm a bit leery of these mail sale deals because once they've got your computer, it's easy for them to rip you off. And what's the deal with Apple refusing a trade-in even if it was an (unknown) "used" computer? If it's in good condition (which it is), and I have a sales receipt showing I paid for it (which I do), it ought to be eligible for a trade-in as far as I can see!

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
eBay if you want to deal with that.

Or sell it to one of the resellers like OWC if you don't like dealing with auctions/private sales.

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
I have nothing but good to say about macofalltrades.com
Sold them a number of computers and I've bought from them too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.