Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I never understood why Apple didn't just stick the iPhone version in the middle of the iPad display and be done with it (for the time being). Functionality over form for a change?

But since they didn't, and since then there came a plethora of third party ones, it quickly became way late for Apple to rethink their original "uh, no" take on what would have been a simple but effective enough solution.

Payback = all the hassle of forever after checking zillions of third party calculator apps submitted to the App Store by 9 year olds who have learned how to code "something". Hey, it was Apple's choice.

I use Sci Pro Calculator but PCalc Lite is fine too. An abacus would have been close to good, sheesh.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
The story was it looked terrible on iPad as developed for iPhone - so Apple didn't include it - wasn't the only app. Why they never re-designed it who knows but there are plenty of just as good ones that work great on iPad.
If that’s true, they could’ve added a calculator pop-out in Control Center. Press the calculator button in Control Center and a mini pixel-perfect version of the iPhone app can pop out.
[automerge]1590611264[/automerge]
If it's just simple calculations you can also calculate in the search screen. For more complex ones I use PCalc.

View attachment 915234
Order of operations also works

7690E1A5-C5CB-4F0B-8174-06E885C68197.png

Reactions: chengengaun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.