Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gp313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Italy
Hi,

I would like to buy a new 27" 5K display to be connected via two TB2 cables to the nMP (D500). I read here and there, but it seems that there are not so many compatible devices. Apart from the quality of the panel, for me it would be very important to have a perfect integration with the macOS (and - if possible - set the brightness via the corresponding keys of my Apple BT keyboard). An integrated camera would be appreciated, but it is not fundamental. Similarly, about integrated speakers (if and only if quality speakers).

If I well understood, only the discontinued Dell UP2715K and HP Z27Q are listed as compatible by Apple (this does mean that I will get brightness control and full compatibility of Mojave and subsequent macOS, is it correct?).

By searching in my local area, however it could be still possible to buy (availability to be confirmed later, but all of the listed models are currently on sale):
1) Dell UP2715K
2) HP Z27Q
3) Philips 275P4VYKEB
4) Iiyama ProLite XB2779QQS
5) Lg Ultrafine 5K

About the last one, I know that via the Apple Thunderbolt 3<->2 adapter, one can only get 4K rescaled to 2560X1440, not really 5K Retina output.

Thanks a lot for your help. Best,

Giampiero

P.S. I mainly use my Mac for writing, photos, live encoding of 4K videos streamed via LAN. I did not appreciate the i7 5K iMac because of the noise of its fans. I prefer to do not replace my Late 2013 Mac Pro. Thanks again. :)

Last edited:

gp313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Italy
My list above was completely useless. I just phoned here and there: no traces of the Dell 5K display, as well as of the Philips and the HP ones (except one shop selling a NOS Z27Q for approx 5000 USD. Ehm...). Unfortunately, I must spend my funds within the beginning of October, thus I am seriously considering to opt for a 5K iMac, the 3.5Ghz with the ATI 575, which - accordingly to the iMac section of the Forum - seems to be much less hot than the i7 with ATI 580. Because of the rumors, it seems wiser to wait for an update of the iMacs. Let's see.

gp313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Italy
The Dell 8K is widely out of my budget (1500 USD). However, I would guess that, despite requiring a double DP 1.2 connection, the UP3218K will be too much to be handled by the nMP via the D500s. Perhaps, amongst the currently available solutions the safest one is to go for a 4K display, which won't stress too much the old nMP.

Now, I hope that Apple will soon update their 27" iMac with a 6 core processor and with a heat thermal distribution as good as the one in the iMac Pro. This, together with the 5K display, will be a very nice alternative.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
The nMP can drive a 5K display off each of its TB busses, so I suppose the question is whether it can drive 1 8k display across 2 busses.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
The Dell 8K is widely out of my budget (1500 USD). However, I would guess that, despite requiring a double DP 1.2 connection, the UP3218K will be too much to be handled by the nMP via the D500s.

Still in pre-order status , and not quite "5K x 3K " tall, but is 5K wide. :) And doesn't need a dual connector.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95U-W-ultrawide-monitor

I can't find it at www.tftcentral.co.uk , but I think there was an article about a hiccup with transitioning 5K over to HDR panels or something along those lines. So the higher end 5K models got caught in product component supply bubble.

Now, I hope that Apple will soon update their 27" iMac with a 6 core processor and with a heat thermal distribution as good as the one in the iMac Pro. This, together with the 5K display, will be a very nice alternative.

that will be more than $1,500 though.

gp313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Italy
Still in pre-order status , and not quite "5K x 3K " tall, but is 5K wide. :) And doesn't need a dual connector.

This is not feasible for my nMP because it is a Thunderbolt 3 display, which means that via the Apple TB3<->TB2 adapter one can get up to 4K (for 5K one needs two TB2/mDP cables).

that will be more than $1,500 though.

True, but for this I can double the budget (because I will get rid of my nMP).

Thanks. Best,

Giampiero

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
This is not feasible for my nMP because it is a Thunderbolt 3 display, which means that via the Apple TB3<->TB2 adapter one can get up to 4K (for 5K one needs two TB2/mDP cables).

Check the specs. It is not purely a Thunderbolt 3 display. There are HDMI and DisplayPort inputs in addition to Thunderbolt v. ( it also have a USB downstream port so can enable the USB if don't connect via TB. ). It is not an Apple requirements constrained solution of one and only one input port.

There aren't the normal "5K" worth of pixels here. '2K' instead of ~'3K'. Pruning off those 'extra' 5120x720 pixels is a significant amount ( specially at 'pure' 10 bit color , but ~5Gbps at 8 bits and 60Hz. ). For 8 bit color, it is just enough to squeak in under the DP v1.2 cap of 17.2 Gbps at ~15Gbps ( 5120x2160x24x60). That's why the HDMI and DP ports work. What they have done is pruned off enough pixels to make it fit the more wide spread (deployed) video port bandwidth limits. Thunderbolt 2 isn't used because it is "old" at this point and not as widespread.

Adapted to fix the broad PC base bandwidth limits is something Apple wouldn't do, but when LG is left free to come up with their own design restraints, they don't pick the "Ive Apple" solution.

It is a "wide" screen. if need more "tall" pixels it isn't "5K". But it should work with a MP 2013. The TB2-to-TB3 adapter should work but if not, I think the DP+USB connection would (or just be cheaper if budget is tight).

P.S. Looking at the specs they don't list macOS. ( only Windows 10). I'm presuming the the standard macOS would figure out this display for basic functionality. Fancy controls from macOS may not work. [ If dig into the support section for the monitor though there are some macOS drivers. So it isn't absolutely zero support. They probably are not trying to completely undercut the ultraFine model, but support for that should help this monitor work in basic function mode as well. ]

Last edited:
Reactions: gp313
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.