Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Generally, which AFPS format option (AFPS, AFPS ENCRYPTED, ETC) should I choose for my startup disk? Thanks got the feedback

jobesucks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Def APFS, I first tried APFS case sensitive, first time and found one drive wouldn't work with that option

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
You can switch from APFS to APFS (Encrypted) by turning on FileVault later on.

I experienced file corruption issues and catastrophic installation failure when I was beta testing macOS High Sierra with APFS (Encrypted), even on the very last beta.

So I have opted to use non encrypted APFS for now. I might enable FileVault when Messages in the iCloud arrives in later beta.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
You can switch from APFS to APFS (Encrypted) by turning on FileVault later on.

I experienced file corruption issues and catastrophic installation failure when I was beta testing macOS High Sierra with APFS (Encrypted), even on the very last beta.

So I have opted to use non encrypted APFS for now. I might enable FileVault when Messages in the iCloud arrives in later beta.

Yes you can, and you do not even have to restart once FileVault is done because it is not converting your drive over to CoreStorage since APFS supports native encryption.

:apple:

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
So impressed with Apple engineers that you can upgrade your Mac and your file system can be changed without loosing any data... In all my years of partitioning and formating, have never seen that before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.