Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewv69

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
Hello all,

I recently bought a Mac Pro 6,1 (6 core, 16gb ram, 512gb, d300s) and am setting it up with all my software. I plan to bootcamp it since i got rid of my old windows pc. Doing a test run on the 512 ssd first to make sure everything even works on windows, otherwise i'll get a windows laptop to replace my ageing macbook pro. I pretty much only use windows to play games. That being said, I've ran into a few issues. After installing windows and all of the drivers (everything on advanced/recommended page as well) the first time around it ran pretty well (Destiny 2 with medium settings ~50fps, quick loading times from external ssd). Along the way I messed something up and had to reinstall windows. This time, I enabled Crossfire with the AMD Catalyst Control Center that was installed with Bootcamp. For whatever reason, there didn't seem to be much performance gain and my loading times were far worse, almost a minute to load into anything in Destiny which just results in being kicked from the queue. Not to mention terrible screen tearing/glitching in fullscreen, but not in windowed. Notably also drops to like 2 fps. This isn't an issue with my external drive, as it loads normally on my friend's laptop. I tried several games, and one of them said I had outdated drivers (looking in Catalyst, it said version 2015.something i forget but it was old). I installed these drivers from the AMD site, which uninstalled Catalyst. To my disappointment, there is still no improvement and in these drivers there is no option for Crossfire. Should I just reinstall windows again and stick with the older Catalyst drivers?

tldr drivers resulting in painfully slow loading times, new drivers don't allow Crossfire. what do?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.