Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djxpress

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Going from an Xs Max to the new 12 Pro Max. Is it better to restore from iCloud, iTunes on Windows 10, or the iMazing app? I have backups on all 3. I don't care how long it takes, I care more about keeping all my settings like when I take a photo, it gets uploaded to Google Photos and my Dropbox..etc. stuff like that. Also, I have music on my phone. It's not my entire iTunes library, only part of it. So I'd like to keep that as well, if I can.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
In the past I've always restored from iTunes backup but the last two years the migration tool has worked just fine. I also keep a lot of music on my phone. All of my playlists are still in use on my iPhone 12 Pro.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Going from an Xs Max to the new 12 Pro Max. Is it better to restore from iCloud, iTunes on Windows 10, or the iMazing app? I have backups on all 3. I don't care how long it takes, I care more about keeping all my settings like when I take a photo, it gets uploaded to Google Photos and my Dropbox..etc. stuff like that. Also, I have music on my phone. It's not my entire iTunes library, only part of it. So I'd like to keep that as well, if I can.

I just went from a 7 Plus to a 12 Pro, and also had iMazing, iCloud, and Windows 10 iTunes backups from which I could have restored.

On booting up the 12 Pro, I was asked if I wanted to restore either by the migration tool or iCloud. It sounded like the iCloud restore would be faster, so I chose that. Everything was restored exactly as it was on the 7 Plus, except for app passwords.

In retrospect, I probably should have used my encrypted iTunes backup on Windows. It would have restored everything including app passwords. Fortunately, I have my passwords in 1Password, so it wasn't that much of a problem, but still it was an inconvenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.