Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
Hi,

I currently have an M1 Air 16gb and M1 Mac mini 16gb...I have both devices as I need portable options however, when I use to plug my M1 Air into 2 x external displays (a 49inc ultra wide Samsung and a portrait 24inch) then when running Teams, safari, outlook and a few excels and PowerPoints, it started to become quiet slow and laggy and then when on a Teams call, I couldn't really do anything.

I want to replace both and just have a single device however, will the base model be enough to do all or do I need to upgrade to the 10 core (£200) or the 32GB ram (£400) - thoughts please?

Thanks

tempImageziTjaa.jpg

Last edited:

Tooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
why 3 iPads?

I would say, that the base model is enough for this use case. But keep in mind, that ist not so portable than your MacBook Air.
Top one just has my ‘Things3 / ToDo list’
Big one (12.9)…use for media and when I’m around the house
Then iPad mini is notebook replacement so notes

Thanks for help

Reactions: nastysailboat

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
m1 pro with 16 core GPU should do the work
Sounds right to me too.

Can I just ask @Tooney what iPad arm are you using for the one above your main screen please? Seems to be 100s of them on Amazon so the usual pot-luck as to quality.

Tooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
Sounds right to me too.

Can I just ask @Tooney what iPad arm are you using for the one above your main screen please? Seems to be 100s of them on Amazon so the usual pot-luck as to quality.
If I was to pick one upgrade do you think 10 core or 32gb?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
If I was to pick one upgrade do you think 10 core or 32gb?
Unless you absolutely need the RAM, I'd be more inclined to go for the 10 cores. Your workflow sounds like you'll benefit more from the CPU upgrade given how fast these systems are and the SSDs in particular.

MS really needs to get an M1-native version of Teams in particular as its a real resource hog.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Unless you absolutely need the RAM, I'd be more inclined to go for the 10 cores. Your workflow sounds like you'll benefit more from the CPU upgrade given how fast these systems are and the SSDs in particular.

MS really needs to get an M1-native version of Teams in particular as its a real resource hog.
the x86 version is actually the worst resource hog on my work-issued laptop...

dallegre

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
The M1 Pro 10/16 16GB should drive your current setup/use well. I think the base 10/16 is a good sweet spot for a lot of uses.

If you ever want to add more than 2 external monitors (and judging by your setup, it seems like you might), you'll probably want to go with an M1 Max. So that may be worth considering.

And yeah, Teams is a resource hog on any system in my experience.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Unless you absolutely need the RAM, I'd be more inclined to go for the 10 cores.

The 10 core will likely make no difference whatsoever. This is a very barebones workflow aside from the extra displays - of course if you need it sooner than later, do the $2500 config, otherwise I'd just bump the GPU and leave it at that.

Reactions: ascender

Tooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
The 10 core will likely make no difference whatsoever. This is a very barebones workflow aside from the extra displays - of course if you need it sooner than later, do the $2500 config, otherwise I'd just bump the GPU and leave it at that.
Agree in that my usage is nothing special literally MS Suite, Safari, Things 3 I use 90% of the time then an overkill two monitors

Tooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
The M1 Pro 10/16 16GB should drive your current setup/use well. I think the base 10/16 is a good sweet spot for a lot of uses.

If you ever want to add more than 2 external monitors (and judging by your setup, it seems like you might), you'll probably want to go with an M1 Max. So that may be worth considering.

And yeah, Teams is a resource hog on any system in my experience.
I would like to think that the MAX would overkill given my Mac mini (M!) can run the two monitors fine its just when I am in a Teams call and that's hitting the RAM hard as well as the monitors its a challenge.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have a base 14" (no upgrades at all).

In order of priority of upgrades, I suggest:
1TB SSD
32GB RAM
more cores
even more SSD
M1 Max

512GB SSD is just too small, 1TB for $200 is a no-brainer. I definitely should have got this.
I have run into some situations where I think 32GB RAM could be a benefit. RAM is shared, so extra RAM might help for running more displays. But 32GB is a bit expensive.
8/14 core has almost the same performance as 10/16 core.

Just my thoughts

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
You left out two factors here, namely 1) your max budget and 2) how long you expect to keep the new Macbook Pro. The longevity question is important here, because your history suggests you may not keep the device for very long (since you are already replacing two M1 devices that you purchased in the last year). If you plan to keep the MBP for only a year or two, your bias should be toward saving money.

On the other hand, it appears that you are using this machine for work & income, in which case "time is money" and you should prioritize speed/efficiency/productivity. You also said that when on a Teams call, "I couldn't really do anything." That sounds terrible - is your computer freezing up or not letting you switch to other apps? If that were my current experience, I wouldn't take any chances, and I'd spend the extra money to get the 10 core, 16 GPU M1 Pro. I'd also upgrade the RAM to 32GB.

Reactions: Argoduck

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I have run into some situations where I think 32GB RAM could be a benefit. RAM is shared, so extra RAM might help for running more displays. But 32GB is a bit expensive.

There's plenty of evidence in benchmarks and whatnot that RAM doesn't have quite the impact w/ these machines, in fact, for most workloads, even fairly intense ones that historically benefit from 32 gigs, minimal impact. We're not talking like 10-20% slower, more like 1% if anything even measurable and certainly *way* beyond what the OP is doing.

Even MacRumor's own guide on this matter to generally avoid upgrading RAM unless you get the Max (well - you have no say in the matter then ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: upandown

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
There's plenty of evidence in benchmarks and whatnot that RAM doesn't have quite the impact w/ these machines, in fact, for most workloads, even fairly intense ones that historically benefit from 32 gigs, minimal impact. We're not talking like 10-20% slower, more like 1% if anything even measurable and certainly *way* beyond what the OP is doing.

Even MacRumor's own guide on this matter to generally avoid upgrading RAM unless you get the Max (well - you have no say in the matter then ;).

Yes, I know, but I have got up to 22GB of swap usage using Photoshop and Lightroom, with some lagginess on interactive masking, although the processors are not maxed out, - and I don't have the infamous memory leak. So I can understand there could be some benefit in more RAM. Just trying to be honest rather than justify my own purchase decision. If I were to buy it again I would get 32GB RAM, rather than more cores, at least for me personally.

Last edited:

Tooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
Yes, I know, but I have got up to 22GB of swap usage using Photoshop and Lightroom, with some lagginess on interactive masking, although the processors are not maxed out, - and I don't have the infamous memory leak. So I can understand there could be some benefit in more RAM. Just trying to be honest rather than justify my own purchase decision. If I were to buy it again I would get 32GB RAM, rather than more cores, at least for me personally.
I have done it

MacBook Pro 14 | 8 CORE base | 32GB

Got returns till start of Jan so will see if I need the 10 core or not. If I look at my daily stats at the moment I don't really hit over 50% at any point but RAM I do swap and max out at times if screen sharing, on camera etc on MS Teams

MS Teams is the devil < They need to optimise it

Tooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
honeslty i'd get a 16" if you are wanting to use a monitor consitently
Extra £600 just to have a 16inc that I don't need because its in a monitor?

Also, I do travel 2/3 days a week so still want some level of portability.

The pro base 14 is overkill let alone the 16 Pro, I think!

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Lightroom is a notorious hog and OP is not even remotely close to being in a situation like that. What is traditionally reasonable advice is does not really apply to the vast majority of users now.
True, I don't expect my usage to necessarily apply to others. Hence I said "for me personally," and attempted to provide the context. Up to others to consider the information accordingly. I think both 16GB and 32GB are good choices (after all, I did not return the 16GB), but I can see some benefit in 32GB. More so than extra cores, IMO. But of course, everyone has different needs, otherwise there would not be options

asparagus

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
You use this thing to generate income, right?

Then the analysis is simple. You need one step above the minimum viable product. Money is irrelevant; this thing generates money, so it's free. I don't think the extra processors will change your workflow significantly; the real problem is Teams sucks resources, and that's just a fact of life.

I'd use one of your many screens to run a system analysis tool through your day and see what, if any, insight it can give you on why your current machine is bogging down. If your current system has 16gb, then I suspect that'll give you all the info you need; while the processors in the M1Pro are nicer than the M1, I don't think it'd change things that much, so I suspect it's the RAM that's killing you, especially if you have 8 on either machine. Of all the scenarios, the one where MS sucks at coding for ARM which results in it hogging resources it shouldn't need and eats up all your RAM is a very likely scenario.

If you assume, for example, that every time you're lagging you lose, say $20 of potential revenue - then every upgrade is free. You don't want/need to buy the top of the top of the line, but you can't have yourself held back by equipment.

If it were me? I live in a town with an Apple store. So, I'd just go there and get the top of the line one (M1Max 32gb) and a base model one (M1Pro 16gb), and literally use both, simultaneously, for a couple weeks. Apple's pretty friendly to returns, especially this time of the year, so just demo both and keep one. Use the everloving dickens out of both, sure, but that way you're not debating with internet strangers; you know exactly how it'll perform with your exact workload.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.