Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which AW would you buy?

• SS Series 7 for $599

• Aluminum GPS Series 7 for $275

• Aluminum Cellular Series 7 for $350

• Buy the Series 8 Aluminum for Retail - $530

• Buy Series 8 SS for retail - $750+

• Wait for Better Discounts on the SS Series 7 - how low will they go?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
Looking to buy an Apple Watch. Generally I wait til the new one is released, but it just doesn’t sound like the series 8 will have many updates and I was thinking I’d rather have the available discounts. Plus, my series 4 broke and I don’t want to wait the month+ to upgrade.

I thought it would be an opportunity to buy a SS model, but then even the discounts are still double the aluminum price.

Curious what the majority of people would do on here.

If you think the SS models will drop more - where do you see those discounts? I’ve never seen a new SS model for less than $500 from a reputable seller for the most recent or one year removed series.

FYI: I have upgraded right away in the past when the series 4 model was released and held onto it. My aluminum model has been just torn up by scratches and that bothers me. I had a SS series 0 model and that held up beautifully. But I’ve not been able to find a price of a ss model that I’m willing to jump on and stick with.

I purchased a SS series 7 for $599 and used it a couple days and had to return it because I just couldn’t get over the fact that I could buy two GPS models for less than the SS model that doesn’t DO anything different besides be pretty.

Thoughts?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
If you're keen on the SS and not sold on the rumoured S8 upgrades, then the S7 SS seems like the winner to me.

Reactions: Rainshadow

JDnLex

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2014
The SS tempts me as well. I have an S0 space black SS and the screen has remained blemish free. I’ve been on aluminum since then because it’s easier to convince myself to upgrade more frequently when the price barrier is lower.

I’ve been tempted by the SS S7 sales, but as you said, the aluminums are half off the cost and are functionally the same.

At this stage where you need a replacement now because yours is broken, I’d go with the aluminum for 270-ish if you don’t need cellular or the aluminum cellular if you do. Then, if you decide the S8 or S9 has something you want you won’t lose as much on trade in or when selling.

Reactions: Rainshadow

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
SS Series 7 is $565 on Amazon at the moment (I just picked one up)
I see that, but you purchased the 41mm, right? I’m looking for the 45 and that price is $599.

I purchased one for $599 but I just felt like it wasn’t worth it. At $499, I could probably swallow it.

To be clear, I can afford it. I’ve budgeted just for this but when I look at the other fun things I can do with the $325 I could save, I just couldn’t keep the SS at $599

It’s just the practical side of my brain that tells me to keep it in my pants (my money).

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I am struggling myself because I’ve been wanting to either go with SS or go with the larger watch. Now sure seems like a great time to pick one up, but since I already have a 7, I’m trying to make myself wait to see what the 8s have to offer.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Im currently rocking my Series 4 (44mm) and im looking to upgrade to either the Series 7 or 8.

Leaning more towards the 7 with discounts unless the series 8 has a must-have feature. Might even be tempted by a bigger watch face.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I see that, but you purchased the 41mm, right? I’m looking for the 45 and that price is $599.

I purchased one for $599 but I just felt like it wasn’t worth it. At $499, I could probably swallow it.

To be clear, I can afford it. I’ve budgeted just for this but when I look at the other fun things I can do with the $325 I could save, I just couldn’t keep the SS at $599

It’s just the practical side of my brain that tells me to keep it in my pants (my money).
Oops yeah, my bad…i bought the 41mm for the wife

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
I just picked up a stainless 40mm Series 6 from staples.ca for less than the cost of the current aluminum S7.

I felt like the cellular connectivity and more resilient screen was worth the tradeoff of the fully edge-to-edge screen. Had it for about a week now and am really happy with the purchase.

Reactions: DaPhox

LiverbirdBln

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
I just picked up a stainless 40mm Series 6 from staples.ca for less than the cost of the current aluminum S7.

I felt like the cellular connectivity and more resilient screen was worth the tradeoff of the fully edge-to-edge screen. Had it for about a week now and am really happy with the purchase.
Same here, upgraded to the Series 6 SS from a broken and old-ish Series 5 SS (back cover broke and battery life very poor) for a decent price. Can’t see many advantages over the 7 and SS is a must have for me.

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
Same here, upgraded to the Series 6 SS from a broken and old-ish Series 5 SS (back cover broke and battery life very poor) for a decent price. Can’t see many advantages over the 7 and SS is a must have for me.
It’s a huge peace of mind because I had a S2 aluminum and it was scratched pretty much immediately after I got it and things only went downhill from there. My Tissot on the other hand with its sapphire face looks pristine after years of regular use.

Now I know the Apple Watch sapphire isn’t quite as strong as ‘real’ sapphire but it’s a heck of a lot more scratch resistant than regular glass.

Reactions: LiverbirdBln

LiverbirdBln

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
It’s a huge peace of mind because I had a S2 aluminum and it was scratched pretty much immediately after I got it and things only went downhill from there. My Tissot on the other hand with its sapphire face looks pristine after years of regular use.

Now I know the Apple Watch sapphire isn’t quite as strong as ‘real’ sapphire but it’s a heck of a lot more scratch resistant than regular glass.
I had worn my Series 5 for almost 3 years and I have no visible scratches on the glass. If you point the torch to the screen, then you can see one tiny scratch. These SS versions are amazing! And they look so much better than the Aluminium too!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Given my current heart condition, I ended up buying a new 41mm alumi product (RED) Series 7 watch for US$295. It might catch what a visit to a cardiologist won't see at the office.

I could have bought a cellular version for US$100 more but I can't see adding another subscription to my bill.

I'm not a watch user. I haven't worn a watch since 2006.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I ordered one of these and am keeping it ”unopened” to see if I can sell my S7 Product Red GPS for a decent price…and also to see if the S7 SS goes any lower. Either way…if I can’t sell the red S7 at a good price, I’ll likely just stick with it….rather than give it away….as I do really like it. It’s just that the SS goes with just about every band…and I’ve go a lot of bands (from past SS AW’s).

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
I ordered one of these and am keeping it ”unopened” to see if I can sell my S7 Product Red GPS for a decent price…and also to see if the S7 SS goes any lower. Either way…if I can’t sell the red S7 at a good price, I’ll likely just stick with it….rather than give it away….as I do really like it. It’s just that the SS goes with just about every band…and I’ve go a lot of bands (from past SS AW’s).
I ordered one, too! That just felt like too good of a deal. I was going to replace a 5 Silver Al this year, but I was thinking for the same price (because I would get the cellular version) I can get this SS (and 7 doesn't look to be thaaat different from the upcoming 8.)

Interesting idea about keeping it unopened; I wonder if they would just price-match if they lowered the price within 30 days?

And let me be a voice that encourages you to keep the red watch, too. Personally, I have enjoyed having more than one watch. Some days I feel the red. Other days, I don't, and if you're able and it brings you pleasure, it's nice to have other options.

Hope you get to enjoy! Keep us posted and how it plays out.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I ordered one, too! That just felt like too good of a deal. I was going to replace a 5 Silver Al this year, but I was thinking for the same price (because I would get the cellular version) I can get this SS (and 7 doesn't look to be thaaat different from the upcoming 8.)

Interesting idea about keeping it unopened; I wonder if they would just price-match if they lowered the price within 30 days?

And let me be a voice that encourages you to keep the red watch, too. Personally, I have enjoyed having more than one watch. Some days I feel the red. Other days, I don't, and if you're able and it brings you pleasure, it's nice to have other options.

Hope you get to enjoy! Keep us posted and how it plays out.
You’re reading my mind:). I’m actually thinking about keeping the AW7 Product Red….and….the Stainless Steel. One reason: I had The product red AW6 that I just sold today for a good price. I had the Red Braided loop band with it (that I kept) and it works perfectly with the AW 7 Red watch. It’s perfect for sports or super casual days while the AW7 SS can run the gamut between workouts and formal.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Shame that the graphite isn't getting nearly as discounted, just $75 off. Maybe that will go down next week. Still, I'm seriously considering sticking with my series 4. AOD is the only thing tempting me to upgrade right now.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
You’re reading my mind:). I’m actually thinking about keeping the AW7 Product Red….and….the Stainless Steel. One reason: I had The product red AW6 that I just sold today for a good price. I had the Red Braided loop band with it (that I kept) and it works perfectly with the AW 7 Red watch. It’s perfect for sports or super casual days while the AW7 SS can run the gamut between workouts and formal.
Yes! To all of that.

Including the selling a 6 red for a 7 red and kept the braided loop. :)

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Shame that the graphite isn't getting nearly as discounted, just $75 off. Maybe that will go down next week. Still, I'm seriously considering sticking with my series 4. AOD is the only thing tempting me to upgrade right now.
I saw that, too. Just seems to be the silver SS with the much lower price. Curious.

Having traded in watches yearly, I would say yeah sure some things are better, some things are incremental, but almost always each iteration genuinely does feel faster and smoother, so I would recommend trading up from a 4. Jic a nudge helps.

And if not, hope you enjoy your 4 until you find a discounted graphite.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Decided to open the Stainless Steel Apple Watch 7. I‘ve had the Stainless steel in the Series 1, 2, 3 & 5. I switched to the Aluminum (product red) for series 6 & 7. I’d forgotten about one of the major advantages of the aluminum modes. That being the brightness of the display and richness of the colors/contrast as compared to the SS versions. The Sapphire glass on the SS models scores huge for durability, but definitely takes a hit in terms of overall display quality. The colors and black levels seem washed out by comparison. The Sapphire seems more reflective too. These taken with my DSLR, directly overhead…same indirect light hitting both watches. SS on the left, Aluminum on the right. Just one more factor to consider for those trying to make a decision between the two. BTW…I’m keeping both:)

I found a thread discussing this for those interested: https://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/29/apple-watch-glass-sapphire-brightness/
67C1D05D-7BD0-4200-B226-E83BD29C478D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDnLex

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Decided to open the Stainless Steel Apple Watch 7. I‘ve had the Stainless steel in the Series 1, 2, 3 & 5. I switched to the Aluminum (product red) for series 6 & 7. I’d forgotten about one of the major advantages of the aluminum modes. That being the brightness of the display and richness of the colors/contrast as compared to the SS versions. The Sapphire glass on the SS models scores huge for durability, but definitely takes a hit in terms of overall display quality. The colors and black levels seem washed out by comparison. The Sapphire seems more reflective too. These taken with my DSLR, directly overhead…same indirect light hitting both watches. SS on the left, Aluminum on the right. Just one more factor to consider for those trying to make a decision between the two. BTW…I’m keeping both:)

I found a thread discussing this for those interested: https://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/29/apple-watch-glass-sapphire-brightness/
View attachment 2049260
That’s interesting that you could even notice the difference. I see it in the picture, but I’ve not noticed it on my own watches. It makes sense that different media would have cause different refractions. Hopefully it doesn’t bother you too much, especially now that you’re keeping both!

(I opened mine too. Yay us.)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Now that I've seen the Series 8, I'm not feeling compelled to buy the newest one any more than I would have been to wait the couple of weeks. The Series 7 is quite good and a couple advancements here or there aren't going to change most people's perception--if they're using it as a tool and not as a status symbol.

I'm happy with what mine has done for me. I found humour in picking up a phone call and talking through the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.