Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joehearty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
Hi there, how are you?

Im new here. My name is joe, i'm from the north east of scotland, i play in a bunch of bands/projects and record using my power book and Cubase SX.

Years ago, when i first immerced myself in electronic music of all kinds using my dads old pc - i was able to create sample patterns and sequences using fuity loops and an old microphone.

These days i have resorted to manually recording all drum/sample loop ideas in real time due to my lack of mac application knowledge. I would LOVE to be able to manipulate samples and sequences like i did in the old days, but have yet to find a mac based equivelant to fruity loops.

Could somebody please tell me if such an equivelant exists? And if not, what the closest thing available is? Id like to be able to build songs using sample patterns with as much control as possible.

thanks, hope you can help
joe

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
If you want to keep making music with loops, garage band is a great start. You can always try logic express, and if you like that, upgrade to pro. Don't go right to pro, because if you get express, you upgrade to pro paying only the difference in the two prices, so you dont loose anything trying it.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
also

joehearty said:
Hi there, how are you?

Im new here. My name is joe, i'm from the north east of scotland, i play in a bunch of bands/projects and record using my power book and Cubase SX.

Years ago, when i first immerced myself in electronic music of all kinds using my dads old pc - i was able to create sample patterns and sequences using fuity loops and an old microphone.

These days i have resorted to manually recording all drum/sample loop ideas in real time due to my lack of mac application knowledge. I would LOVE to be able to manipulate samples and sequences like i did in the old days, but have yet to find a mac based equivelant to fruity loops.

Could somebody please tell me if such an equivelant exists? And if not, what the closest thing available is? Id like to be able to build songs using sample patterns with as much control as possible.

thanks, hope you can help
joe

GarageBand is a great choice for what you want to do. You might want to check out iDrum as well. iDrum is a software-based drum machine that can be used either as a plug-in for GarageBand or as a stand-alone application...it's cheap, too, around $60USD I think.

Whatever you decide, spend the money for a decent sound card. M-Audio has a good reputation...I have an M-Audio 2496 in my G4 and I freakin' love it.

best of luck :)

joehearty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
hi guys,

Thanks for the input!

I think i have a version of garage band that came with my power book installed, but it doesn't seem to do very much - perhaps i have an incredibly basic version? I'll try aquireing a copy of iDrum though, i think this might be my best bet (i seem to remember i friend of mine using it, and it being quite good).

Sound card wise im using an m-audio mobile pre usb at the moment, and it seems to be doing a good job. M-Audio seem to be fairly reliabel in general - i was even thinking about buying the m-powered 7 pro-tools as its now mobile pre compatible - thoughts?

Anyway, ill scout around for copy of garage band and iDrum and let you know how i get on. Thanks again for your messages!

joe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.