Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
I am untested in the new Apple glasses but until then have been debating about getting a VR set my first one in fact.

Am debating between the Oculus Meta Quest 2 or maybe the PS VR for PS4. I hear the new PSVR2 for PS5 has oled screens and is amazing but truth is my plan for VR isn’t to play games. It’s to watch full immersive videos and experiences as opposed to gaming.

Edit. I’m a Mac 🖥️ only household so I have a MacBook for travel and an iMac at home. If that matters with the oculus. Not a fan of being tied down when using the PlayStation versions.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Okay so since you only use Mac, the Quest 2 or Pro is your only option

The Quest Pro is $1000, however it has color passthrough, the Quest 2 doesn't it's passthrough is black and white and meant for utility, so if you want to do AR like you said, the Quest Pro is the way to go. There's also an app that allows you to use the Quest Pro with a Mac so the Quest Pro serves as extra displays for the Mac that only you can see.

I should also note the Quest 3 is releasing this Fall

paulmeyers42

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
For AR-type experiences, check out the NReal Air. For Apple users their primary use cases are viewing videos on iPhone/iPad and providing multiple virtual monitors on Mac. On iPad, I also use it as a virtual external monitor as well.

Since they look like regular sunglasses, you can wear them in places you wouldn’t normally wear VR headsets. They actually work really well on plane flights, it gives you a 130” viewing screen, much better than your iPhone or iPad!

It’s a pretty niche use case, but they work surprisingly well for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.