Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Hi, Can I just check with anyone who owns the 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro if you can use 67W and higher chargers? I bought a used 14" M1 Pro, and it came with a 67W charger, but I noticed on the Apple website they sell the new M3 Pro models with the option of a 70W or a 96W charger for faster charging. So, I was wondering if the same rules applied to the 14" M1 Pro as I had a spare 87W (its not 96W) charger at home and if I could use it with my 14" for fast charging or does it risk damaging it?

Please advise if you know? Thank you.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
BTW, after I posted the above, I found this:

Does this mean I can ONLY 96W and 87W CANNOT be used?

Also, is it correct that you can use either MagSafe 3 or USB-C to charge these models?

Last edited:

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
You can use any original Apple USB-C charger available either for Mac or iPad. Furthermore, you can use many 3rd party USB-C chargers. Technically most will just work, but you should use only good quality chargers from solid brands like Anker, Ugreen and so on. If the charger was 10 bucks off Amazon it's probably not a good idea to risk the Mac and these can be a hazard to your life as well if they are missing safety features.

Around 100W is the maximum the 14" models can charge with for fast charging. Around 40-60W provide plenty of power if you don't need fast charging, hence the standard charger Apple gives you is a 67W one.

Do not attempt to use Apple chargers that do not have a USB-C port.

I currently use Anker Nano chargers as they are literally less than half the size of Apple chargers making commute with a charger in the backpack simpler than having to carry that entire Apple charger brick with me every day. If you end up buying another one I suggest you skip Apples chargers. They work fine but provide no inherent benefit over other reputable brands. (Other manufacturers also have tiny chargers, I just happened to try Anker first.)

Reactions: kitKAC and ryan101

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
You can use any original Apple USB-C charger available either for Mac or iPad. Furthermore, you can use many 3rd party USB-C chargers. Technically most will just work, but you should use only good quality chargers from solid brands like Anker, Ugreen and so on. If the charger was 10 bucks off Amazon it's probably not a good idea to risk the Mac and these can be a hazard to your life as well if they are missing safety features.

Around 100W is the maximum the 14" models can charge with for fast charging. Around 40-60W provide plenty of power if you don't need fast charging, hence the standard charger Apple gives you is a 67W one.

Do not attempt to use Apple chargers that do not have a USB-C port.

I currently use Anker Nano chargers as they are literally less than half the size of Apple chargers making commute with a charger in the backpack simpler than having to carry that entire Apple charger brick with me every day. If you end up buying another one I suggest you skip Apples chargers. They work fine but provide no inherent benefit over other reputable brands. (Other manufacturers also have tiny chargers, I just happened to try Anker first.)

Hi, I have an original Apple 87W USB-C, so are you saying I should be safe to use this? I had it from another MacBook. I understand it won't charge as fast as 96W, but as long as it will charge faster then that's fine.

BTW, I took a look at the Anker chargers you mentioned, they look really good, and a good price.
Thank you.

Last edited:

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Hi, I have an original Apple 87W USB-C, so are you saying I should be safe to use this? I had it from another MacBook. I understand it won't charge as fast as 96W, but as long as it will charge faster then that's fine. Thanks.
Yes, as I mentioned any USB-C charger that Apple released for Macbooks or iPads can be used.

Reactions: chabig and ryan101

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
The wattage, basically amperage (current) as the voltage is constant, is the maximum the charger will deliver. The laptop will only draw as much current as needed. You could use a 200 watt charger safely as long as the voltage is correct. Even a 30 watt charger will work but it will take longer to charge.

Use what you have and be happy.

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.