Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

origin-al

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
I don't have a Mac computer but can use Windows or Linux. Which backup software do you prefer and why?

I've categorized photos into various albums that are sorted and I'd like to keep these photos in the way they've been categorized when I back them up. Also I'd like to backup sms, whatsapp, contacts. I don't use any cloud based backup solution or icloud or idrive or even itunes so looking more at some external backup software.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I use iMazing on my Windows 10 PC. iMazing is a comprehensive solution not just for importing photos to the computer, but for copying photos/files to the phone. Backups are easy to configure and complete. The program offers a superb UI, and access to many other aspects of the iPhone. I would strongly recommend downloading the trial version and having a look.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
I use iMazing on my Windows 10 PC. iMazing is a comprehensive solution not just for importing photos to the computer, but for copying photos/files to the phone. Backups are easy to configure and complete. The program offers a superb UI, and access to many other aspects of the iPhone. I would strongly recommend downloading the trial version and having a look.

Did you develop the program or what?

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I feel like I just entered a surreal thread. “What backup program do you prefer?” Really. iTunes and iCloud back up is less secure than what? which other company would you trust more than apples own solutions that Are already tied into the ecosystem? Maybe you were looking for an android forum

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
That sounded like a sales pitch
Did you develop the program or what?
From what I've seen in threads and replies (including mine :D) iMazing is used by around 60% of regular users here, so not much sense for a sales speech :) Regarding the app, their incremental backups are a must-have feature for any backup solution. Saved me several times when I needed a file that was deleted some months ago.

origin-al

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
I feel like I just entered a surreal thread. “What backup program do you prefer?” Really. iTunes and iCloud back up is less secure than what? which other company would you trust more than apples own solutions that Are already tied into the ecosystem? Maybe you were looking for an android forum

Easily bruised ego.

wicked271

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Philippines

This! I have iMazing and it’s good for copying photos to my Mac in a folder, backup my apps, transfer movies etc.

I have iCloud 1TB with family but I still do backups with iMazing before restoring from an iCloud backup just in case. If apps have problems, I use iMazing to restore data to the app. Very helpful. You have to do an extract app data from backups though so you can restore just the apps you want.

The only thing I don’t like is that when they backup, folder name is a long alphanumeric like in iTunes. So usually, I have to make a folder for each phone so I’ll know for which backup it is. I do most of the backups/restore for my family.
[automerge]1574465522[/automerge]

For me it’s not just about security, it’s about getting my data back.

iCloud is not perfect. This is the first time I had an almost perfect icloud backup restore but Whatapps for some reason just won’t install. Keeps getting stuck on installing. Must be coz it has lots of photos/videos. iMazing saved me with the restore of whatsapps Data. 4 family members got new phones this October so it really helped to transfer data.

While iTunes is also good to use, its not family friendly. I don’t want it to sync my data to my mom or my aunt’s phone!

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
While iTunes is also good to use, its not family friendly. I don’t want it to sync my data to my mom or my aunt’s phone!

I understand where you are coming from but in this case you should have individual user accounts on the computer to manage individual users easily.

iTunes is a user specific application, every user has or at least should have their own account on any modern computer system (maybe even iPad one day).

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
From what I've seen in threads and replies (including mine :D) iMazing is used by around 60% of regular users here, so not much sense for a sales speech :) Regarding the app, their incremental backups are a must-have feature for any backup solution. Saved me several times when I needed a file that was deleted some months ago.
iMazing is one of the apps I cannot live without! This is no sales pitch, it just WORKS and is super easy. copying music or photos to an from your iPhone is just a simple drag and drop! No more syncing issues or stuff not copying completely! Heck even copying ringtones is so much easier than using iTunes.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I don't have a Mac computer but can use Windows or Linux. Which backup software do you prefer and why?

I've categorized photos into various albums that are sorted and I'd like to keep these photos in the way they've been categorized when I back them up. Also I'd like to backup sms, whatsapp, contacts. I don't use any cloud based backup solution or icloud or idrive or even itunes so looking more at some external backup software.
Apple time machine/capsule.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.