Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which BitTorrent Client Do You Use?

• uTorrent

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • BitTorrent

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • qBittorrent

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Deluge

• Transmission

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Folx

• Vuze

• Others...

• Total voters

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
None.
Mostly because I'd write backend JS that would hash digital currency for me while you browse via bit-torrent clients.

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
Anyway, to give you a serious answer with reasoning...I would have said uTorrent, but with the recent security flaw (something to do with remote code execution) I would say steer clear. Deluge is great in certain scenarios but probably not for use on a personal machine. The vague reason I always heard is that is was somehow more aggressive with finding peers but that is probably only important if ratio is of huge concern. Otherwise usability is the best with transmission I think.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Anyway, to give you a serious answer with reasoning...I would have said uTorrent, but with the recent security flaw (something to do with remote code execution) I would say steer clear. Deluge is great in certain scenarios but probably not for use on a personal machine. The vague reason I always heard is that is was somehow more aggressive with finding peers but that is probably only important if ratio is of huge concern. Otherwise usability is the best with transmission I think.
What about resource(battery) usage between uTorrent & Transmission? I found transmission to use a slightly less cpu than utorrent. Also I couldn't find don't-sleep-when-downloading on utorrent but transmission seems to have it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would not use any torrent software on battery. That, in my opinion, is already a power-demanding use, and using that on battery is not a good choice.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
PSA: "uTorrent for Mac" is only a 32-bit app, so at this point anyone using it post-Mojave's macOS will have to find something else.

Why the uTorrent devs seemingly refuse to update the Mac version to 64-bit for 10.15 onwards (the Win version is 64-bit), is anyone's guess. I couldn't find any info on the site about it, including their forums...?

The other options all look bollocks to me. Setapp offers me Folx, which seems rather rubbish AFAIUI, and Transmission is, erm, not as good either. Am I missing something?

Or is there better out there?

Is the native BitTorrent app any good or is it gimped in some way or other?

Last edited:

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
I used uTorrent until in got full of crap (around 1.7.5). I switched to Transmission after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.