Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ths247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Hi, I have an old (2000 ish) iMac G3 which my good lady used to use on a dialup basis.

I fired it up, the machine runs fine.

I plugged in an Ethernet cable, my router sees the iMac and gives it an IP address from its DHCP pool

I can ping the iMac from other devices on my home network, so far so good....

Internet Explorer 4.5(!) is installed on the iMac but I cannot browse and sites using that.

I have tried various settings, proxies and everything else i can think of, including enabling port forwarding on my router.

The best result I have had is either a spinner or a 400 Bad Page error.

As you may have gathered, I am not knowledgeable on iMacs by any means, I have a feeling I am trying to do something which might not be possible.

I naively thought that I should be able to at least browse the internet with what is an old machine and relatively outdated, so my question is can I actually do this?

Any helpful suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.....

ths247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Thanks for the response, I'll check that out.

Do you think the browser is the cause of my internet access difficulties, or do I have other issues like DNS access or whatever?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm thinking that a browser that old (that is, not having had "updates") simply won't work any more. I'd try Classila as r6 suggests above.

Reactions: ths247

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I would recommend retiring that machine and buying a bargain basement used machine. Such a bargain basement machine will still be infinitely more pleasant to use to surf the net than any G3.

ths247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Great, thanks. Any tips on how to install it? I have downloaded it on my Windows PC but I am unfamiliar with how to get it onto the iMac....

ths247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I would recommend retiring that machine and buying a bargain based used machine. Such a bargain basement machine will still be infinitely more pleasant to use to surf the net than any G3.
Hi, would you have a suggestion as to which machine to look for? I am completely unfamiliar with Macs. Thanks!

Last edited:

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Great, thanks. Any tips on how to install it? I have downloaded it on my Windows PC but I am unfamiliar with how to get it onto the iMac....
Maybe try copying it onto a really old USB stick you have that's formatted with FAT32.

Or perhaps transfer it across your network (this is a bit more involved to figure out how to do it). You could use SMB1/CIFS, however on Windows 10 that's disabled by default now so you'd need to re-enable that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.