Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colinpritchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Illinois
I know my old mid-2012 machine has a mini display port. And the new M1 MacBook Pro has USB C.

My problem is this: on Amazon, some cables say not for data transfer. Others are not clear if it goes FROM mdp TO USB C. Other say for monitors.

are all these cables the same? If not any clue what I need to search for so I get the right one?

thanks,
Colin

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
You need a TB2 cable (looks like the Mini-DP port on both ends, doesn't HAVE to be the one Apple sells but that's the one I have experience with) and the TB2 to TB3 adapter from Apple. I've done several transfers with this setup, works like a charm but I haven't done one to an M1 Mac yet.

Reactions: colinpritchard

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
Your mid-2012 machine has both thunderbolt and minidisplayport in that one port. But all you need is a USB-A to USB-C cable like this:

Note it says 10Gbps data transfer rate.

And according to Apple support follow these instructions:

Reactions: colinpritchard

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Do you use a backup drive?
Time Machine, or cloned backup?

Transferring data from a backup drive will be just as easy, might even be faster.

colinpritchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Illinois
OP:

Do you use a backup drive?
Time Machine, or cloned backup?

Transferring data from a backup drive will be just as easy, might even be faster.
I used to use BackBlaze, but that was on an old Mac Mini that died. I didn't renew it, so currently do not have a backup for this laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.