Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishingfromakay

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hello and thnx, I recently got e new Mini M1 and a LG ( 32UP83A-W ) 31.5” UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Display.
I am not sure which cable would give me the better video. Should I use the HDMI or the USB-C ? thank you for any help/suggestions.

fishingfromakay

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Use the USB-C that came with the Monitor.
Look in the Manual for your monitor and at the spec's for the ports.
@Kenny99 Thank you, I did look in the LG specs ( below ) and wasn't able to figure it out, but I am going to take your advice and go with the USB-C, thanx for the help/time.

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 4.49.18 AM.png

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
See Page 27 and 28 for the difference. See the highest resolution (3840 x 2160) and the Horizontal and Vertical Frequencies
The USB-C has the same specs. (that is without out the HDmI uLTra HD Deep Color : on)
( did you get a HDMI with the monitor? if so that cable will work )
The proper HDMI cable (Note that their are different specs for these cables) would give you the same as the USB-C.
If you can't see the difference between the two cables when connected to the monitor then use ether one.

Reactions: fishingfromakay

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would try a "high-speed, HDMI 2.0" cable first.
Reason: if it works, it leaves an extra USBc port "open".

See if this gives you an image that satisfies you.
If you don't get the results you want with HDMI, then go to USBc-to-displayport.

Reactions: fishingfromakay

fishingfromakay

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2012
@Kenny99 I did get a HDMI cable with it and also have a High speed one. I'll give them a try and get back with results, thnx

@Fishrrman I like the idea of having the USBc available if the HDMI picture is the same. Thnx for the idea.

fishingfromakay

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2012
I tried the HDMI cable vs the USB-C cable and I am not able to tell the difference watching a video. But it could just be my old eyes as well. Thank you all for the great info, ideas and help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.