Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patty87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
Hi! Looking for a protective case for my iPhone and I have 4 options in my mind..

1. Speck Candyshell
2.Urban Armor Gear
3. Otterbox Symmetry
4.Magpul

So.. Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks!!

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Speck candyshell.

I'd actually go with the candyshell grip.

My favourite case for my 5. I bought around 10 others but always ended up back with the candyshell.

They just feel great and offer great protection without adding a lot of bulk.

Berthacrowley

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2015
Nahant, MA
I have a Candyshell Grip for my 6S+. It's great. Protective without being huge and super grippy. I never drop the phone while holding it anymore. I would steer clear of the original Candyshell personally. The hard plastic scratches and looks like garbage almost immediately. The Grip also scratches but the grippy rubber lines distract from it so it's much less noticeable.

Allin44

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2014
The only one I've tried is the Magpul for my 6S+ and I absolutely adore it. Matte finish won't scratch up like the Speck will, the fit is perfect, cutouts are precise, buttons are very clicky and have great feedback, and it just feels wonderful in the hand. Offers grip without being cumbersome to slide in and out of a pocket.

Reactions: Dascoyne

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
My favorite one out of the four is the UAG. These cases hold up pretty good. Just never mind the two mystery holes in the back. Can't go wrong with an urban armor gear.

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
My favorite one out of the four is the UAG. These cases hold up pretty good. Just never mind the two mystery holes in the back. Can't go wrong with an urban armor gear.
UAG is a terrible case.
I've used the UAG and, over time, the cheap quality starts to show. I initially got one because of the cool, sexy, tough, industrial look. The first one had issues with the power button sticking. I didn't learn it was the case for a few weeks and, by then, my iPhone power button was already damaged. Luckily I had AppleCare and got the phone replaced. I sent the case back to UAG for a replacement since I liked it so much.

The second UAG case worked fine for a while. After a few months the case started to split apart at stress areas where dissimilar materials met. Clearly no thought went into longevity when this was designed.

The UAG looks great but that's about it. If you want something similar with industrial aesthetics that's better built I'd go with the new Spigen Tough Armor Tech.

ip6s_plus_ta_tech_title_metslate_1024x1024.jpg

I'm running this one right now and it's great. My only complaint is the power button feels a bit mushy for my taste but otherwise it's great.

Magpul is another great item which is seriously built to last and has great design to preserve the button tactility. If the Spigen fails I might go back to Magpul.

Reactions: danny8200

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Hi! Looking for a protective case for my iPhone and I have 4 options in my mind..

1. Speck Candyshell
2.Urban Armor Gear
3. Otterbox Symmetry
4.Magpul

So.. Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks!!
I have the Speck and Otterbox for my 6s plus. I like both but went with the Commuter. Not much thicker but a far superior lip and better overall feel imo

enivree

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
I had UAG back in my Samsung S3 days and love the rugged feeling. It was a solid case with good quality.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I think the best value of the four is the Magpul.

The CandyShell is nice as well and has a great grip, but it's infinitely harder to remove than the Magpul.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
First off, my experience pertains to the 5s. I have owned 3 of the 4 cases mentioned. My favorite is the Magpul Bump case, followed by the Otterbox Symmetry.

The Speck Candyshell scratched too easily and broke out around the lightning cable port rather quickly. I replaced it with a Speck Mightyshell and it was a very nice case, didn't scratch like the candyshell and didn't break either. It just added too much bulk to the phone and was so tacky on the edges that it made it difficult to remove from my shirt pocket.

The Otterbox Symmetry was very nice, offered great protection, was nice and slim not making the phone bulky at all and was smooth enough that you could remove it from your pocket with ease, maybe was a little too smooth. Quite frankly, if i wasn't such a case freak and never tried the Magpul Bump case, I would probably still be using the Symmetry.

The Magpul Bump just wound up being my favorite. It offers great protection, is easy to put on and remove, is rigid so that it offers strength to the phone, and is just the right compromise in offering good grip without being so grippy that you can still easily remove it from your pocket. It is also made in the US which I really like.

Patty87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
Thank you all. Finally went for a Blue Magpul Field..It fits great and feels very well built.. Hope its what I was looking for

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Thank you all. Finally went for a Blue Magpul Field..It fits great and feels very well built.. Hope its what I was looking for
If you've already decided, may I suggest that you go back up to your OP, select the cog and change the prefix of the thread to "Resolved." Just a suggestion.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
for those with the Magpul Bump, how well does it play with aftermarket cables?
Again, my Magpul Bump case is for a 5s. The lightning cable port seems reasonably oversized. However, the headphone port is not very large, it could be an issue for a large headphone jack.

Reactions: danny8200
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.