Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Well as some of you may know I got my camera for Christmas. I was always into photography but had to manage with a Sony CyberShot. I have pretty good knowledge of photog. My grandpa was a photographer for the Daily News back in the day. He used to be at all the baseball games and I have some pretty amazing Babe Ruth originals. So, Ive always had somewhere to turn to for questions.

Ok now heres my question. Now I have a Rev. B Imac with 1.5gigs of ram. I use Photoshop CS1, and actually am now using the Adobe Lightroom Beta as apposed to dropping $500 on Aperture. However , importing 200+ pictures every shoot and trying to view and edit them takes FOREVER!!! I know really see the imprtance of having a good and powerfull computer setup. I was thinking about buying a used PowerMac G5 somewhere here on macrumors. However, with the Intel switch going on this year that probably isnt the smartest move. Now the new Intel Imac seems pretty powerfull, but i dont really think its going to be a smart move in the longrun in terms of upgradeability.

Any suggestions/input/comments would really be appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Chris

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Is your camera USB 2.0 compatible? If not, grab a $10 card reader and see if that speeds things up a bit.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
The beta software may be the problem. My old PowerBook isn't too much slower compared to the PowerMac when processing photos in Photoshop and Gimp. What is your editing process?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Dark said:
.... importing 200+ pictures every shoot and trying to view and edit them takes FOREVER!!! I know really see the imprtance of having a good and powerfull computer setup. I was thinking about buying a used PowerMac G5......
Chris

The bottle neck in your process is likely NOT the CPU speed. The computer has other parts like the disk and USB buss and the buss that connects the CPU to the memory.

One way to prove me wrong or right is to run the Activity Monitor. It in the applications folder . Run it and watch the CPU meter. It it's not "pegged out" then buying a faster one will not help. Likely you problem is the speed of _moving__ data not the sped of processing it.

The key is to identiy the bottleneck and address that. It may be in the camera. I don'tknow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.