Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I just got into PC gaming again by loading up Windows on my Macbook Pro. It's more than powerful enough to play the latest stuff. I've been interested in Counter-Strike... but which version? The $10 Counter-Srike 1.6 that includes Condition: Zero, or the $20 Counter-Strike: Source? I want something that will provide the best online experience.

AndyClarke

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2007
Fernhurst, Hampshire
Counter Strike Source is fantastic I have been playing it for years and find it a great game for instant action or hours of play. Try joining a clan if you can and enter some comps when you get good enough. There are some great players online so when you join a game try and pick a beginners server or one with just bots in to practice. Have fun you will love it.

nylock10

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
Counter-Strike Source is the way to go!

It's a very good looking game (powered by VALVe's Source engine), many maps (you can download more for free), tons of weapons (you can skin weapons too), and more.

It's a fun game and doesn't get boring.

freeedge369

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
Source

I recommend getting Source.
Also Garry's mod, because if you get them together Gmod is only $5 extra.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Source. The original seems to be full of hackers now.
I like CounterStrike but could never really get into it. Where I'd spend an hour on HL2: Deathmatch, I'd play CounterStrike for maybe 10 minutes.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Source. I never really got into CS:S either. I just came back from a LAN party and that was the first game we all played. I have Half Life 2 GOTY edition, so I downloaded and played it just for the party, but I still despise the game. I was carrying my team in all of the matches (always first on whichever team), but meh.

Half Life 2 Deathmatch is a much better game, although it's the same pick it up and shoot for a short time or play for hours kind of game. I assume it comes in one of the Half Life packages or is that one free?

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I already have Episode 1, Gary's Mod, Half Life 1 Source: DM and Half Life 2: DM, and Lost Coast. I think I'm fine were I'm at. Half Life 2: Death Match is pretty addicting, and I've been going through a lot of mods and maps. I just into the game after it's been sitting in my Steam account for so long. I kind of forget how these games are like because I play them off and on over the span of months. I think I have plenty to keep me busy. What's your Steam handle? If you play DM, maybe we can have a MacRumor's match.

boobooq88

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Im going to go against most and say CS 1.6. Takes more skill. Not as good of graphics but definately more fun. Source just seemed toooooo easy to get headshots and stuff.
"
As for whoever said that 1.6 seems to full of hackers now"... it's far from it. and hackers that do exist get banned almost immediately. It's still the same old CS... but I do miss 1.5, that was definately the best CS I've ever played

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Source is really bad! There I said it. Sure it is fun but it sucks compared to 1.6. Hit boxes are like 10 feet from the guys actual body and it is well... just bad. I've been playing Counter-Strike for many years and I still play 1.6 regularly over source. The Source engine is pretty but it is full of annoying junk.

I want something that will provide the best online experience.
None of the CS games provide a good online experience. The games are good but the people are jerks. Trust me I play everyday and people are just idiots in any CS game. You just learn to put up with it :p

My List:
Counter-Strike 1.6
Counter-Strike Condition Zero
Counter-Strike Source
Day of Defeat Source
Half-Life 2 DM
Day of Defeat 1.3
Team Fortress Classic
Day of Defeat 1.3
Opposing Force
Blue Shift
Death Match Classic
Half Life
Ricochet

I would choose any game using the HL engine over the source engine :)
Please buy 1.6!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.