Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Will Ipad 2 and iphone 4s will get IOS10?

My guess for IOS 10
Iphone 5 and higher
Ipad 3 and higher
Ipad Mini 2;3;4
Ipod touch 6

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
iPhone 5s and higher
iPad 4 and higher
iPad Mini 3 and higher
iPod Touch 6

iPad 2/3 and iPhone 4s/5 won't get iOS 10.

I'm hesitant on iPad Mini 2 getting it. Even though its the same hardware as iPad Mini 3, I don't think it will make the cut. But definitely iPad 2/3 are out. Pretty much anything under 1GB/A7.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
iPhone 5s and higher
iPad 4 and higher
iPad Mini 3 and higher
iPod Touch 6

iPad 2/3 and iPhone 4s/5 won't get iOS 10.

I'm hesitant on iPad Mini 2 getting it. Even though its the same hardware as iPad Mini 3, I don't think it will make the cut. But definitely iPad 2/3 are out. Pretty much anything under 1GB/A7.
Agree, but think Mini2 will get it. No reason not to. Only differentiator is TouchID, as you note.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
I think iPad 4 Will become more slow. My dad have one And is terrible slow And buggy with IOS 9
[doublepost=1452282674][/doublepost]Will IPad 3 get IOS 10?

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2015
I think iPad 4 Will become more slow. My dad have one And is terrible slow And buggy with IOS 9
[doublepost=1452282674][/doublepost]Will IPad 3 get IOS 10?

My iPad 4 is running iOS 9.2 and it performs amazingly good for its age. Believe me, I tried an iPad Air at an Apple Store and I can't believe how much I hated trying it, not compared to an iPad 4, I'm not overreacting cause I have an iPad 4 but this is really the truth, I suffered with iOS 8 but iOS 9 is just doing what it's supposed to do on some devices. Please check your fathers iPad 4 and try using it for a full day before you give ur comment on performance. Compared to an iPad Air 2, the Air 2 is just slightly better in multitasking and very heavy graphics intensive games' than the iPad 4. iPad 3 is just a confusing case, but I'm 75% sure it's not getting iOS 10 for some reasons, 1. It's basically an "iPad 2 with Retina display", 2. The 1gb of ram is just for handling the more pixels the iPad 3 has over the iPad 2, 3. The CPU performance is just the same as an iPad 2, 4. The iPad 3's GPU is just better than the iPad 2's cause of the Retina display and the large amount of pixels.
[doublepost=1452284605][/doublepost]
iPad 4 has the A6x chip and 32 bit, so why include that but not iPhone 5?
The iPhone 5 is just getting iOS 10.

Last edited:

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
I prefer to have an Ipad 4 rather to have an original Ipad Air
[doublepost=1452285763][/doublepost]The 4 is less buggy compared to the original air

Reactions: Zwhaler

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2015
I prefer to have an Ipad 4 rather to have an original Ipad Air

Me too, iPad Air feels so bad with its weird plastic-like feel screen and its terrible performance with iOS 9, iPad Air 2 is just amazing with its thinner design and powerful performance with a more solid screen feel, Air 2 feels like a complete project, iPad Air is like an incomplete device with no Touch ID and no general improvement except that it's lighter than iPad 4 but lightness doesn't matter if it's just doesn't feel like a true iPad. I feel that apple just meant to release an iPad Air 2 as a successor to the iPad 4 in the place of the iPad Air but they didn't just have enough time to complete such a big project, so they just enlarged an iPad mini, gave it the same 9.7 inch Retina display the iPad 4 already has, a new chip, same cameras and called it the iPad Air just to fill the time gap until they release a more powerful iPad which is the Air 2, Apple already done this before with the iPad 3 which was an exact copy of the iPad 2 just a little improved just to fill in the time gap until they release a more powerful iPad 4.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
The Ipad Pro is a incomplete device. The ipad pro 2 will be so much better..with 3d touch.however;i wont upgrade my ipad anytime soon.. Definetely i will upgrade Just in 2018.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2015
The Ipad Pro is a incomplete device. The ipad pro 2 will be so much better..with 3d touch.however;i wont upgrade my ipad anytime soon.. Definetely i will upgrade Just in 2018.
iPad Pro is a good device, I think it's a complete device but it's just that apple didn't optimize it well, there is a huge screen gap between app icons and it's just something some people wouldn't like, the Apple pencil is good and the smart keyboard is great, the only problem is that the screen is just so weak as the iPad is so flat and very big, if I bought one, the first thing I would do is to get the tempered glass screen protector to prevent accidental damage to the screen. It's a great device but it's just too expensive, the samsungs Galaxy
View is more cheap while its a lot bigger, but in the end I know and we all know Samsung stuff is just very bad but I'm just trying to compare the price with the Pro's nearest competitor. I wouldn't be that much excited for an iPad Pro 2 but I would be very excited to try the next iPad (most probably called as the Air 3), it would just be as powerful as a pro, maybe add support for Apple pencil, have Touch ID 2, 3D Touch, more powerful and durable than Air or Air 2. I'm totally satisfied with iPad 4 as it does what it should do in a good way "not the most powerful but it's very satisfying for me. Hope apple has some good plans for 2016 starting with a new iOS for the devices that have suffered iOS 9 like iPad mini 2 etc and probably a new iPad line, a new powerful iPhone and an updated or refreshed look for iOS 10 like they did with iOS 7.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I think the iPhone 4s will be dropped, the iPad 2 will be dropped and possibly the iPad 3. I think the iPad 4 will just keep support, even though it is virtually the same as the iPad 3 just with a lightening port. I also think the iPad mini 2 will be dropped. Only the iPod Touch 6 will gain iOS 10 / iOSX.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2015
I think the iPhone 4s will be dropped, the iPad 2 will be dropped and possibly the iPad 3. I think the iPad 4 will just keep support, even though it is virtually the same as the iPad 3 just with a lightening port. I also think the iPad mini 2 will be dropped. Only the iPod Touch 6 will gain iOS 10 / iOSX.

The iPad 3 is basically an (iPad 2 with Retina display), iPad 4 is 5 times faster than an iPad 3 with it A6x, if u compare iPad 2 to iPad 3, they both have a5, iPad 3 has a5x to handle the Retina display and graphic stuff. iPad 3 was released as a mistake as people demanded a new iPad in the time apple was just trying to shift the time it releases an iPad from March to October, there was nothing Apple could do to stop people from complaining unless they release an IPad 3 with less features than they planned, so basically the iPad 3 was the iPad meant to be released with an A6x chip and a new lightning connector, Apple didn't have much time for completing the whole project, they released iPad 3 which is an incomplete project with A5x chip then released iPad 4 which was supposed to be in the place of the iPad 3rd gen.

Reactions: Math889

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I really hope it will be 64Bit-devices only, so A7-CPU and up.
Since providing an app as 64Bit has become mandantory in AppStore for a while it would be great to see iOS 10 getting rid of all 32Bit/AArch32-stuff and overhead.

This would be logical, iOS X will be the first OS for "Big Boy" 64-bit CPUs. This way, all those 32bit binaries can be purged by app developers, cutting down on wasted resources going towards supporting older hardware architectures.

I could see a future iOS VERSION dropping support for all 1GB devices as well. Everything shipping initially with iOS 9 has at least 2GB ram, so by iOS 11, all the iOS 8 1GB devices will have had their three OS updates and iOS 12 could just simply leave them all behind. Also, iOS 12 could be the first iOS where ALL devices have TouchID built in as well. I think eventually, iPhone prices will start to come down, and that would make iPod touch essentially redundant, and all iPad models would just have cellular radios built in.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
My hope is that all non-64 bit devices will be cut. It would allow a load of legacy code to be dropped and hopefully allow for an increase in performance. There is a chance that the A6 devices will make the cut but surely the time has come to drop the A5 devices. The iPad 2/mini are probably still popular but Apple really have to drop them now or it will hold back the platform - these devices are based on 5 year old tech now!

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
it's not important if they can't find the stability which they promise for iOS 9..on the other hand..iOS 9 couldn't find that up to the present.. i don't think i will upgrade to iOS 10

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
If the A5 devices with 512MB of RAM (iPad mini, iPad 2 and iPhone 4S) got cut I reckon the the iPad 3 with the A5X and 1GB of RAM would get cut too, it's always been the forgotten device from Apple. It had Bluetooth 4.0 but never got airdrop, or any of the continuity features. It only headlined for 6 months until the iPad 4 launch and they even offered free replacements to the iPad 4 (same chassis but with lightning connector and A6X).

Eventually I'm sure apple will make iOS 64-bit only and therefore only support A7 onwards but that is a while away.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
iPhone 5 and later
iPad 4 and later
iPad Mini 2 and later
iPod Touch 6
These are my predictions :)

Agreed. And at least this time, by doing that, they can say all devices get all the features. This should also prevent lots of people from whining about performance.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
So the IPad 2 And IPad 3 Will be cut of support at The same time?

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
So the IPad 2 And IPad 3 Will be cut of support at The same time?
It's all speculation at this time, chances are they will continue support for another year until 2017 when they make iOS 64bit only and start dropping off devices.

If iPad 2 is dropped however, the iPad 3 would go with it. The extra performance of the iPad 3 is used to drive the Retina display, they are otherwise the same device.

Every new device Apple sells now is 64-bit, except for the watch which basically has an ultra power efficient version of the A5.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The iPad 3 has an interesting neither here nor there position. On one hand, the iPad 3 runs the A5x processor, so it's actually a hair slower than the iPad 2 (once you factor in the retina display). On the other hand, it does have 1gb of ram, so it should be able to support a more demanding OS than the iPad 2 with its pitiful 512 mb (same rationale as why the iPad 2 gets iOS 9 while the first gen iPad got cut off at iOS 5.1; the ram was the bottleneck).

I think the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 will get iOS 10, because they still sport 1gb of ram. Basically any device with 512mb of ram will not be supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.