Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which of these devices won't make the cut for iOS 10?

• iPad 2

Votes: 199 88.4%
  • iPhone 4s

Votes: 216 96.0%
  • iPad mini 1 [aka "iPad mini (First Generation)"]

Votes: 196 87.1%
  • iPod touch (Fifth Generation)

Votes: 108 48.0%
  • iPad (Third Generation)

Votes: 130 57.8%
  • iPad (Fourth Generation)

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • iPhone 5/5c

Votes: 54 24.0%
  • iPhone 5s

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • iPad Air (original)

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • iPad mini 2 [aka "iPad mini with Retina Display"] and iPad mini 3

Votes: 14 6.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
- The A7 in the iPhone 5s and the iPad mini 2 and 3 is the same. The A7 in the original iPad Air is a little faster.

I'm going to assume that A8 and A8X devices (iPad mini 4, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Sixth Generation iPod touch, iPad Air 2), the iPad Air 2, and all A9 and A9X devices (iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Pro) are safe. I am going to similarly assume that no one here disagrees.

Personally, and this is more of a gut feeling, but I get the sense that Apple is going to try to go 64-bit only for iOS on the next go-around. Call it a hunch or a sneaking suspicion, but given that they have otherwise forked development for it and been slowly encouraging app submissions to be 64-bit native, I think they want to press forward in that regard and, in typical Apple fashion, eschew the old technology (in this case 32-bit iOS).

What say you all?

Why would they drop the A7 processor? It's 64-bit as well.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Will Ipad 3 be dropped?
In my opinion, yes. It's a heavier, hotter, iPad 2. It just has a more RAM, but it still struggles horribly just like the iPad 2. 1GB of RAM isn't exactly a lot, even though newer devices have it. iPad Air for example is choking on RAM and it has 1GB.

Reactions: Math889

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
That would get me through to when Apple releases a worthwhile 9.7 inch iPad Pro to replace it.
Yes. Current iPad Pro is not worthwhile to upgrade. But I don't think apple would upgrade their iPad Pro line next year with reasonable hardware upgrade.
iOS 10 may bring something brand new and productive, especially for iPad. Currently I don't mind buying one is it is still not good for many tasks, like programming.
Sure, there is an app called "code master" in App Store. But could it compile C code? It looks more like a mobile HTML editor anyway.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So, the iPhone 4s was cut, but not the iPad 2 (which is arguably less advanced in terms of other hardware in tow), not the fifth generation iPod touch (which is otherwise identical in terms of how well it can run iOS), and not the first generation iPad mini which is not much better than the iPad 2 in non-CPU features, but otherwise identical in terms of CPU features. How the hell does that make any sense? The A5/A5X choke in 9, which was supposed to be the optimization update. 10 only feature-creeps further. Unless they're trying to make the user experience so crappy that they remind users that their device is old and it's time for an upgrade.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
So, the iPhone 4s was cut, but not the iPad 2 (which is arguably less advanced in terms of other hardware in tow), not the fifth generation iPod touch (which is otherwise identical in terms of how well it can run iOS), and not the first generation iPad mini which is not much better than the iPad 2 in non-CPU features, but otherwise identical in terms of CPU features. How the hell does that make any sense? The A5/A5X choke in 9, which was supposed to be the optimization update. 10 only feature-creeps further. Unless they're trying to make the user experience so crappy that they remind users that their device is old and it's time for an upgrade.
I don't think that's what happened. Everything less than A6 has been dropped.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

No, they removed everything with an a5.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
all A5 devices are dropped
including ipad 3
[doublepost=1465855268][/doublepost Only A6 and newer

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't think that's what happened. Everything less than A6 has been dropped.

No, they removed everything with an a5.

The Apple website suggests otherwise:
iOS10.jpg

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
Its a mistake ..they will correct it soon.Also, there are no beta available for a5 devices .A6 and up as a i said before...
[doublepost=1465856143][/doublepost]bye A5!

Reactions: ThunderMasterMind

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That is incorrect. Developer website has no A5 devices and the keynote featured no A5 devices either. A5 is gone.

Its a mistake ..they will correct it soon.Also, there are no beta available for a5 devices .A6 and up as a i said before...
[doublepost=1465856143][/doublepost]bye A5!

It makes the most sense that all the A5 devices are dropped at the same time (and they've definitely had a good run), that's why I was surprised that the Keynote and the website had inconsistent information. If there is no developer preview available for any A5 devices then the Keynote seems to have had the correct information.

Reactions: Math889

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I fell for the initially incorrect page. During the keynote they were on that slide for a split second. Odd that they'd make that mistake and then take as long as they did to correct it. This is honestly better for people still rocking A5/A5X devices, I'd imagine that if they were allowed to run iOS 10, the experience would be horrible. I fear iOS 10's performance on the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and the Fourth Generation iPad as it is.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
This is honestly better for people still rocking A5/A5X devices, I'd imagine that if they were allowed to run iOS 10, the experience would be horrible. I fear iOS 10's performance on the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and the Fourth Generation iPad as it is.

From what I've seen/heard/been told it runs quite well on A6 devices. As an A5 device owner, I would have preferred to be given the option to upgrade to iOS 10 - I would have been ok with a performance hit to ensure compatibility and security going forward as now I'm out in the dark. That is of course if they were to allow downgrading as that would be the best of both worlds, so what has happened is essentially the worst outcome for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.