Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrancyGoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Hey folks.
So we recently aquired a new car, has a Bose Audio system, with a built in woofer in the boot (stock).
Killer sound.
But, this is my first car that has CarpLay, which i do enjoy, but, which EQ is used when playing music via Apple Music, the car built in, or the one from the phone?
I would really like to go to town and tune it to take full advantage, but i feel it's all lost if one is going to mess with the other?

Thanks all!

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I think it's a combination of the two, that's why I leave my iPhone's EQ set to Flat or Off and then fine tune the EQ on the audio system to get the music sounding like I prefer it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrancyGoose

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I got an Audi A6 back in March with Bang & Olufsen sound system, which sounds great when listening to DAB and the system’s Bluetooth, but when listening through CarPlay (first time I ever had it) the sound is much more muffled and I have to turn it way louder to achieve the same volume as the other sources.
Does anyone else notice that?

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
the iphone eq does not apply while on carplay. Only the basic treble/bass on the car radio will alter the sound.
I have an alpine aftermarket radio and if I choose the iphone via usb as an ipod I can benefit of all the eq or MX settings tweaks alpine offer. Once I switch to carplay mode, only treble/bass applies.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
the iphone eq does not apply while on carplay. Only the basic treble/bass on the car radio will alter the sound.
I have an alpine aftermarket radio and if I choose the iphone via usb as an ipod I can benefit of all the eq or MX settings tweaks alpine offer. Once I switch to carplay mode, only treble/bass applies.
That is not true for all car audio receivers. When I have my iPhone connected to my Kenwood Exelon using CarPlay it definitely uses the Kenwood's equalizer settings. I confirmed this by adjusting the equalizer settings while playing a song and I certainly noticed the changes along the equalizer bands as I played the song.

Reactions: cutienoua

TrancyGoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
I got an Audi A6 back in March with Bang & Olufsen sound system, which sounds great when listening to DAB and the system’s Bluetooth, but when listening through CarPlay (first time I ever had it) the sound is much more muffled and I have to turn it way louder to achieve the same volume as the other sources.
Does anyone else notice that?
Renault Kadjar here, 2020, Bose audio. Carplay audio quality far superior to the one coming from over blueeooth! :) Haven't tried Aux yet, must give it a go actually! >D

Reactions: CamiMR

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Bluetooth audio is always going to be worse than a direct connection.

Agree, and that was the first thing I tried, wired CarPlay instead of wireless (which is the one I use more commonly), and the sound quality was exactly the same

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.