Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I'm trying to decide what 2TB SSD to get. I'm not worried about the price as much as I am not wasting my money if there is no difference seen between the two types.
I have a 2018(2020) Intel i5 Mac mini. I'm trying to decide between a Thunderbolt 3 or a USB-C 3.2 SSD drive. I currently have a 500GB Samsung X5 (TB3) but I feel like I'm seeing almost the same export speeds as my Samsung T5 500GB. Is there not a difference after a certain speed or is Final Cut Pro limited at a certain external speed? And what drive is the better choice.
I do alot of 4K exports for commercials and web series.

I'm currently looking at the Sabrent 2TB (TB3) or the Samsung T7 2TB if that helps. Thanks in advance for the help.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I currently have a 500GB Samsung X5 (TB3) but I feel like I'm seeing almost the same export speeds as my Samsung T5 500GB.
It seems like you have answered your own question. The X5 is a lot faster than the T5 under many workloads. But, if the T5 is good enough for your usage, get the 2TB T7. The T7 is faster than the T5 when connected to the USB-C/Thunderbolt port where it can use the full 10 Gbps of USB3.1gen2).

Reactions: Fishrrman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.