Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Hi, I would like to update my OS to Mojave from Yosemite. I need to create some free space to do this.
Which folders (or subfolders) from Applications, Library, System or Users folders can I temporarily move to an external drive (and restore after updating to Mojave) to make space without causing problems?
Thanks for any help
David

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
For Example I have a folder Mac HD /Users/UserName/Library with a size of 5.4gb would it be possible to remove this folder, install Mojave and restore this folder - either from time machine backup or external drive copy?

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I would just Time Machine your current drive and restore to the new OS afterwards. 5.4Gb is a pretty small amount of data. As some here may suggest, backup the current setup to Time Machine and do a clean Mojave install.

What computer are you planning to update? As this is the Mac Pro forum, I'm guessing it's a Pro machine. There could be Firmware updates that need to be applied and this method would likely be the best way to ensure you get those done.

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Thanks for this, I'm a Mac newbee and this is my wifes macbook pro, so a bit hesitant to do a clean install.
Removing this folder will bring me up to about 20Gb free space, so my question is can I remove /Users/UserName/Library folder without causing any problems when I install Mojave?
Thanks
David

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
The post should have been made in the Macbook Pro forum, here.... https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/macbook-pro.90/

Regardless, you can just update the OS to Mojave. A backup of critical data is always a good idea in case something goes Pearshaped. Clean installs are always a better way to go with OS updates. Sometimes old preferences and settings can cause issues which can be fixed with a clean install.

Backup via Time Machine, make a bootable USB stick with Mojave, wipe the drive and install Mojave. Run Migration assistant and migrate your files back. It's preferable to manually copy back files from your Time Machine backup, but the Migration Assistant method will work. Manually copying files back can mitigate issues from old preferences and settings.

Other genius's here will likely have far more concise instructions on this process. It's also very likely a post has been made on the forums previously that outlines the steps.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
In general, don't touch the system folder. Move only your user data.

And the system is small anyway, move the folder inside won't help much.

Or if there is any applications you rarely you, you can also remove them without any issue.

Reactions: Alex Sanders74

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Thanks for this, that's what I wanted to know, discovered that I can't delete it.
I'm looking for about 5GB in one place rather than having to select 20 files of 250 mb. Can you suggest any folders I can temporarily move to external storage?
Thanks
David

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for this, that's what I wanted to know, discovered that I can't delete it.
I'm looking for about 5GB in one place rather than having to select 20 files of 250 mb. Can you suggest any folders I can temporarily move to external storage?
Thanks
David

This software will tell you where your disk capacity goes.

http://www.derlien.com

I cannot.

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Hi, I just deleted 3gb of applications (I have a time machine backup), but when I look at storage there's no increase in free space - I've emptied the trash. Any ideas why this is?

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Try running the DiskInventoryX app again. It builds a catalog every time you run it. It doesn't refresh usage in real time.

If it's in the Finder that it's not showing any change, maybe try restarting?

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.