Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladyhawkjamaica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
What brands of CPU upgrades are recommended? There are more choices out there than the last time I looked. I would like to stay under $150.

moonislune

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2005
Here's one

ladyhawkjamaica said:
What brands of CPU upgrades are recommended? There are more choices out there than the last time I looked. I would like to stay under $150.

I decided not to upgrade my g3 but did upgrade my g4. I'm not too sure if upgrading a g3 to a g4 is a good bet due to the cost of upgrading. Performance will improve but a g3 processor is just slow!!! If you ever edit and recompress videos, you'd be much happier buying a g4.

I got my first g4 sawtooth agp a year ago for 250. It was originally a g4 400. I bought the 1ghz upgrade card for my original sawtooth agp g4 400 two months ago. OWC Computing

It took about 5 minutes to setup and works like a charm. I was so impressed with the processing performance difference that I also picked up a new video card on ebay (Nvidia Geforce 4 5200 - both core graphics and quartz extreme are now supported)! Total cost = $299. You might be able to find an upgrade card on ebay for $150.

I chose to go this route over the mac mini, because I have over 300GB of hard drive space in my machine that I use for graphics editing. While it's no g5 or maybe even a mac mini, I like to upgrade components and I don't like the performance of USB or firewire drives. I've been pleased going this route.

If I were you, I'd look for a really good deal on a mini or other g4 machine. Even a g4 400 will scream past a g3 500 in CPU intensive tasks. You can also call the sales staff at OWC. I've found them to be pretty straight forward about answering questions and giving recommendations. Hope this was helpful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.