Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5quad_HELLO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2016
'Cuz I'm about to buy one at a great price but the guy selling it doesn't know if it is an Early or Late 2005.

The machine has no GPU nor HDD, so he can't test it by himself. Is there any identifier on the case so that I can know? Maybe the serial number?

Thanks for reading. I'm topping it out with a Quadro FX 4500 and RAID 0 HDDs, and super happy about it. 4GB RAM are fine for Tiger, I guess.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
There isn't an early 2005 quad-core, any of the liquid-cooled Power Mac G5 models before late 2005 are dual not quad. I'm not sure if there's a way to tell single pump from dual pump without actually looking at the LCS, but as far as I know there isn't.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
There is no way to tell. There was a popular theory that the earlier models shipped with the dual pump, but my prototype Quad had a single pump, which debunked that theory. It really is hit-or-miss with the pump type, but the single pumps are more reliable from what I have read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.