Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ares1849

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Pittsburgh
I recently came across a 2013 Mac Pro with a dead GPU(s). My understanding is that one board serves as the primary and the other is secondary (e.g. for OpenCL compute). Is board A (the one without the ssd slot) the primary or is it B? Board A seems easier to find online, but board B is like triple the cost. Say I replace board A and connect an external USB SSD, will the machine boot without a B board installed? Unfortunately, I don’t know which GPU is dead (unless someone knows how to determine that with a machine that won’t boot?) and don’t want to waste tons of money on what is essentially a project machine. BTW, I plan on sticking with a D300 as a replacement and maybe an eGPU.

Thanks for your help!

Johnsyounger

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2013
I recently came across a 2013 Mac Pro with a dead GPU(s). My understanding is that one board serves as the primary and the other is secondary (e.g. for OpenCL compute). Is board A (the one without the ssd slot) the primary or is it B? Board A seems easier to find online, but board B is like triple the cost. Say I replace board A and connect an external USB SSD, will the machine boot without a B board installed? Unfortunately, I don’t know which GPU is dead (unless someone knows how to determine that with a machine that won’t boot?) and don’t want to waste tons of money on what is essentially a project machine. BTW, I plan on sticking with a D300 as a replacement and maybe an eGPU.

Thanks for your help!
[doublepost=1561781426][/doublepost]There used to be a diagnostic that you could run in past OSs. Im not sure but a google results;t may prove worthy.
https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/how-to-verify-your-macs-hardware-is-working-properly/

Use TAgrget mode on a working Mac and you may be able to tell

J

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Unfortunately, not enough members here have experimented with the 6,1 to have a definitive list of what works and what doesn't with these machines. Someday, I will have a test sample and will begin experimenting with one. However, I just recently bought a new home, and have to save as much money as I can to fund the construction. After I move in, I will purchase one of these "trashcan" Mac Pros, and begin various experiments. An eGPU will definitely be one of the first things I do...

Wish I could be more help... but I won't be until Dec of this year.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
macpro TB.png

The GPU with the SSD drives the displays.

Take in in to the Apple store for a free diagnosis.

Last edited:

ares1849

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Pittsburgh
View attachment 846041

The GPU with the SSD drives the displays.

Take in in to the Apple store for a free diagnosis.

Thanks so much! B boards are pretty expensive second hand, so hopefully I can just go to Apple and get a flat rate repair on it.
[doublepost=1562031865][/doublepost]
Unfortunately, not enough members here have experimented with the 6,1 to have a definitive list of what works and what doesn't with these machines. Someday, I will have a test sample and will begin experimenting with one. However, I just recently bought a new home, and have to save as much money as I can to fund the construction. After I move in, I will purchase one of these "trashcan" Mac Pros, and begin various experiments. An eGPU will definitely be one of the first things I do...

Wish I could be more help... but I won't be until Dec of this year.

Thanks though. I hope you have fun with your Mac Pro experiments!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.