Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vado

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
I’m in the UK with Prime Day just around the corner I’m going to be on the lookout for a couple of indoor HomeKit security cameras.

I’ve narrowed down my choices to either the Eve Cam or the Aqara G2H Pro. I’m not sure if I should be considering anything else? I’m looking for something that will give good picture quality with a good field of view, also with HKSV.

I‘ve owned several Eve products and know they generally carry a price premium. I’ve never owned anything by Aqara but have heard and read mixed things about them, however I know there products can be used just exclusively through the Home app.

Anyone have any recommendations for a indoor camera that I’ve missed?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I rock the very inexpensive Eufy cams. They are a great value. Cheap & cheerful with solid HomeKit support. Combined with iCloud video storage, it’s a great little set up.

Reactions: Vado

Vado

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
I rock the very inexpensive Eufy cams. They are a great value. Cheap & cheerful with solid HomeKit support. Combined with iCloud video storage, it’s a great little set up.

Thanks I forgot Eufy had their indoor range of HomeKit cameras, I'll have a look at them.

What's the picture quality and field of view like on them?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Thanks I forgot Eufy had their indoor range of HomeKit cameras, I'll have a look at them.

I’ve been pleased with the image Q. i believe they are 1080 so not mind blowing but good enough, night vision works well.

Not sure about fov. I have one in my front window and it can see all of my yard and into the adjacent ones a bit.

brewc99

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
Canada
I have 3 of the Aqara G2H cams, all used outside for the last 2 years. They have been over-all great cams when used with HKSV and the Home app. Remember that HKSV limits the quality to 1080p.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011

make sure they support HomeKit as their new ones dont. Also HKSV only supports till 1080p so the image quality is HD only but the actual app for Edify can support more for example I have pan & tilt and the app shows me 2K resolution. This is my living room picture

1657130648709.png

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have 3 of the Aqara G2H cams, all used outside for the last 2 years. They have been over-all great cams when used with HKSV and the Home app. Remember that HKSV limits the quality to 1080p.
Mind if I ask how you’re using the G2H outside? Are they underneath an awning or are did you fabricate some sort of weatherproof cover or…? Thanks.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I am using the Aqara G2H Pro for the last couple of Months in my stairways and I am really happy with it.

Reactions: Vado

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I really wish the Eufy cams had two-way audio within HomeKit. I think they’re the only ones lacking that functionality and it’s a feature we use very often. I preordered a ton of them when they were first announced at about $25 bux a piece but sold them as soon as I received them.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
Last day of Prime, so maybe a bit late I've been using the Aqara G2H for me the two downsides are no outdoor units so when you want to expand you will need to find a different system. (I also have one mounted outside under a garage port, very protected, - that went out during a storm the one time I truly needed it - then it never reconnected). The 4x review is still too slow for reviewing a chunk of time. Unless I don't know of a secret way to speed up the review process?

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
Mind if I ask how you’re using the G2H outside? Are they underneath an awning or are did you fabricate some sort of weatherproof cover or…? Thanks.
I tried pointing one of mine through glass (idea of creating a boxed in cover) during night photography the lens/lighting would not work and all I would get was a reflection of the lens's lighting - I didn't even know it had a lighting system so it's something reflecting maybe due to it's IR. In any case could not get it to shoot through glass, yes I know how to black out behind the camera when shooting through glass, this only happens once the ambient light levels drop down late dusk and night

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I tried pointing one of mine through glass (idea of creating a boxed in cover) during night photography the lens/lighting would not work and all I would get was a reflection of the lens's lighting - I didn't even know it had a lighting system so it's something reflecting maybe due to it's IR. In any case could not get it to shoot through glass, yes I know how to black out behind the camera when shooting through glass, this only happens once the ambient light levels drop down late dusk and night
I definitely had to disable the lighting on my Eufy cams, it works well at night without.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The cameras that feature this particular mode to capture video through glass at night is exactly that. Disabling the IR night vision sensors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.