Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captjoe06

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
I'm very confused by the whole T-Mobile thing.

Is one version between the Sprint, T Mobile, At&T or Verizon iPad Air more desirable for resale down the road or give you more options to pick and choose between carriers?

I plan to only use the cellular for the 5 winter months when I go away on vacation and plan to use it in the event of spotty wifi access on the road.

The T Mobile deal sounds appealing but someone mentioned buying the Tmobile version but putting in a verizon simcard. I didn't think there was a slot on an iPad to insert a sim card.

Ugh. Totally confused. Please help.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Best option, buy the Verizon iPad. That will give you guaranteed access to Verizon (widest LTE coverage), and support for both AT&T and T-Mobile network via a nano SIM card swap.

estouest

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Does the Verizon version of the iPad Air support T-Mobile LTE and AT&T LTE speeds, not just HSPA+ (Faux 4G) speeds?

Picho

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Yes it does. I just got a Verizon model and it works flawlessly with AT&T and T-Mobile on LTE here in Phoenix, so that's the model to get.

You can get a free T-Mobile SIM card and get the free 200mb per month and when you sell it, you can mention that it works for Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T, increasing it's value.

estouest

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Thanks, Picho! Do you know if AT&T provides free SIM cards as well? What about Sprint?

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
I'll never understand the people who walked away saying damn no Atnt model only verizon ? WTf they are all the same lol it was stupid for then to differentiate carriers it should just ask u what sim do you want when leaving the store. Maybe for sales tracking purposes on which. Carrier sold the most but when Verizon iPad air works on all the other networks it makes no difference

estouest

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
I totally agree. To make matters worse, Apple's webpage clearly states "Your iPad will work only with the carrier you choose."

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I totally agree. To make matters worse, Apple's webpage clearly states "Your iPad will work only with the carrier you choose."

Wish it would be more clear and say "Your iPad only works with the carrier SIM that you have installed." That way people can't complain about it not being able to buy a Sprint plan when the have a T-mobile SIM installed.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010

I even chatted with someone on Apple's website this morning and they told me I had to choose one for which carrier I want to use and that I couldn't use it on another carrier.

Now I plan to get a Verizon one, instead of AT&T.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
WTf they are all the same lol it was stupid for then to differentiate carriers it should just ask u what sim do you want when leaving the store.
A lot of folks wouldn't know what to do with a SIM card. Part of the iPad's appeal is "It just works." Having the SIM card pre-installed helps with that.

Anyone here have either AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint iPad Air and tried to install a Verizon SIM? Did it work?

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
I'll never understand the people who walked away saying damn no Atnt model only verizon ? WTf they are all the same lol

Yes it does. I just got a Verizon model and it works flawlessly with AT&T and T-Mobile on LTE here in Phoenix, so that's the model to get.

Any idea if the versus is true. Does a T-mobile iPad work on Verizon? I know this is not the case with the iPhone 5S since the CDMA LTE is turned off in all the iPhones except the VZ one.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
sim card in verizon?

Does the verizon one even have a sim card IN IT? It's be nice if one could have the verizon model and then when one is in a AT&T better location use an AT&T card with it?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
All iPads starting with the iPad 3 come with SIM card slots. Alas, until the iPad Air, the supported LTE bands have been different for the AT&T and Verizon versions so they weren't exactly interchangeable.

With the iPad 3/4, you can use an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM card on a Verizon iPad but you will be limited to HSPA. However, you couldn't use an AT&T iPad 3/4 with Verizon SIM card.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
air LTE on all carriers

but, with the Air now can one put an AT&T or Tmo sim into a verizon ipad and get LTE speeds on those carriers?

Can anyone confirm that the AT&T and Tmo carriers (and verizon for that matter too) still allow mobile hotpspot with an ipad ad-hoc plan?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Can anyone confirm that the AT&T and Tmo carriers (and verizon for that matter too) still allow mobile hotpspot with an ipad ad-hoc plan?
AT&T doesn't allow Personal Hotspot on prepaid iPad (at least that was their policy when the iPad 3 was released). Verizon does. No idea about T-Mobile.

Last edited:

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
iPads aren't carrier-locked, and Apple has a single iPad model that supports all 14 of the current LTE bands their other devices support.

The only cellular iPad Air model is A1475.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
Off topic

Does anyone know what kind of SIM card is used on the iPad Air? Nano or Micro?

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
sprint: if i understand the offer correctly (might not, honestly), its $100 off for a 2 year contract and $15/2 gigs a month data. cant beat that imo.

i should also note im a current sprint phone customer

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
AT&T doesn't allow Personal Hotspot on prepaid iPad (at least that was their policy when the iPad 3 was released). Verizon does. No idea about T-Mobile.

T-Mobile 200MB free plan allows me to turn on hot spot. This is a Verizon model with a T-Mobile SIM installed after purchase.

Read in many threads here that Verizon prepaid SIMs are almost impossible to find so figured I'd get that model, since all other companies will sell/give you a SIM.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Read in many threads here that Verizon prepaid SIMs are almost impossible to find so figured I'd get that model, since all other companies will sell/give you a SIM.
Yup, it's true. You won't be able to get Verizon SIM card from corporate. Thankfully, there's ebay to the rescue. For widest compatibility, it's probably the Sprint iPad that would be most compatible.

I'm a bit concerned about CDMA fallback on Verizon though so I'd much rather get a Verizon iPad than a Sprint iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.