Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Mac friends. Long story, having no iPhone, no cellphone eventually (if one connects the dots and events) caused a vehicular accident most won't survive (prayers for healing but also means a lot of time to master programming again, traditional art, make thing and digital art, invent and innovate things while most must be spent indoors).

I wanted to ask what could be a good enough backup phone (while the main iPhone is being repaired), these are the prices (they seem to be of tolerable condition based on the number of 4s and 5 ratings). The basics I need is: SMS for OTPs when paying online and the usual SMS from people, Viber, video for recording unboxing of items ordered online so that when it's not what was described, there's video evidence (though I usually backup every week on the quite old iMac running Ventura so I can erase the videos):

iPhone 4 32GB (around US$24.5)
iPhone 4S 16GB (US$17.6)
iPhone 5S 16GB) (US$37)

Other recommendations are welcome but take note since it's just a back up iPhone, I'm keeping it as affordable as possible but not that crippled.

Thank you. stay safe and have a blessed life.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I think you can get an SE1 for $50. It’s a fully functional iPhone which can do anything a modern iPhone can do due to it supporting iOS 15. It’s my main backup and is still quick enough in 2023 to use as a daily driver.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
I think you can get an SE1 for $50. It’s a fully functional iPhone which can do anything a modern iPhone can do due to it supporting iOS 15. It’s my main backup and is still quick enough in 2023 to use as a daily driver.
Thanks. Is your iPhone SE 16GB or 32GB or more? I found a beat up iPhone SE seller w/ most likely a 16GB storage, if it's just scuff marks and everything is working great (no cracked screen, battery reasonably charges), God willing I might be able to buy it for around US$30 with shipping, pray it's just scratched up & banged up just on the surface and no defect and she'll lower the price (it's just Rose Gold though, I'm into the Space Grey one/black coz' the black bezel isn't distractingm when viewing the screen).

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Thanks. Is your iPhone SE 16GB or 32GB or more? I found a beat up iPhone SE seller w/ most likely a 16GB storage, if it's just scuff marks and everything is working great (no cracked screen, battery reasonably charges), God willing I might be able to buy it for around US$30 with shipping, pray it's just scratched up & banged up just on the surface and no defect and she'll lower the price (it's just Rose Gold though, I'm into the Space Grey one/black coz' the black bezel isn't distractingm when viewing the screen).
I have a 16GB Gold SE. Although the storage is low, it’s still perfectly usable as almost everything is streamed online now. I have 2GB spare despite having all my streaming apps, banking and Amazon shopping apps installed. I also have quite a lot of photographs on the phone too. 16GB is perfectly fine for a backup phone.

You should take a look at the phone before you buy it. There are plenty SEs that are around that price range with only minor cosmetic damage. I wouldn’t be buying one with a cracked screen even if it’s only $30. Mine was brand new boxed and sealed. I paid $115 for it last year… I haven’t seen a new one for sale in a long time though.

Reactions: Alvin777

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
+1 on iPhone SE. I believe that has VoLTE which is pretty much a necessity now if you ever need to make cellular voice calls.

That said, 16GB seems super tight. On my 32GB iPad 7, iOS+Other takes up 16-18GB by itself so I can’t update firmware unless I offload apps (just streaming apps). Then again, the OG iPhone SE isn’t receiving iOS updates any longer so at least that’s not an issue.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Definitely 2016 iPhone SE/6S or newer. Anything before that is obsolete enough that basic functions may be unsupported.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Another data point and confirmation of the original SE as a good choice. Still using my iPhone SE 2016 as my main phone — works great.

This will stretch your budget some but, if you are in the U.S., Target and others have been having some good deals on the 3rd gen SE (2022) for only $150 — locked to Straight Talk or Total — but can be unlocked after two months of service (or one month plus another month of waiting).

Alvin, wish you well during your recovery, relearning, and repurchasing of a new old iPhone!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Definitely 2016 iPhone SE/6S or newer. Anything before that is obsolete enough that basic functions may be unsupported.

+1.

In the US, the 3G networks have been shut off so the 4 and 4s are definitely out unless you’re only using them on wifi.

Viber seems to require iOS 13.4 minimum so I believe that means A9/2GB and newer. I believe the 1GB iPhones only worked on iOS 12 max.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, I found an iPhone SE 1st gen (Rose Gold, I wish it was Space Grey but color is the last priority), it has no issues (including iCloud issues), except that the Touch ID isnt't working. Should I even reply to to seller who's selling it for around 26.40 or Touch ID is very crucial and it's not worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Hi, I found an iPhone SE 1st gen (Rose Gold, I wish it was Space Grey but color is the last priority), it has no issues (including iCloud issues), except that the Touch ID isnt't working. Should I even reply to to seller who's selling it for around 26.40 or Touch ID is very crucial and it's not worth it?
Touch ID is nice to have but isn’t necessary. It just means that you will have to type in your password each time you want to use your phone, or just have no password.

That’s pretty cheap for an SE1 with no other issues. It should do you fine until you’re able to get a newer phone.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 7.30.15 PM.png
+1.

In the US, the 3G networks have been shut off so the 4 and 4s are definitely out unless you’re only using them on wifi.

Viber seems to require iOS 13.4 minimum so I believe that means A9/2GB and newer. I believe the 1GB iPhones only worked on iOS 12 max.
Thanks again. How about this cracked iPhone SE 2nd gen. It's about US$35.2, no iCloud issues, openline, activated. The screen seems intact inspite of the cracked back (could just be covered with a case?), the passcode is unknown though. I wonder how easy it is to guess the passcode (and if there are any app that'll help guess the passcode). He did post the IMEI?

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 7.29.48 PM.png

I did ask if he could lower the price to about US$14.09, if he does should I buy this iPhone Gen. 2 instead even if one has to guess the passcode? If anyone can link a methodical way in guessing the passcode that'll help gauge if the Gen. 2 is the one to buy? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Thanks again. How about this cracked iPhone SE 2nd gen. It's about US$35.2, no iCloud issues, openline, activated. The screen seems intact inspite of the cracked back (could just be covered with a case?), the passcode is unknown though. I wonder how easy it is to guess the passcode (and if there are any app that'll help guess the passcode). He did post the IMEI?

View attachment 2256087

I did ask if he could lower the price to about US$14.09, if he does should I buy this iPhone Gen. 2 instead even if one has to guess the passcode? If anyone can link a methodical way in guessing the passcode that'll help gauge if the Gen. 2 is the one to buy? Thanks in advance for the advice.
You can’t crack a locked phone as it’ll end up permanently locked. It’s basically useless unless you can get the passcode. The FBI struggled to crack the code from an iPhone and had to get a warrant for Apple to do it in one of their cases. You won’t be able to crack the code.

I would go with the SE1 as you did say it’s a temporary phone and you won’t be using it long term. The SE1 is fine for a good while as long as the battery is replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: maerz001

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
You can’t crack a locked phone as it’ll end up permanently locked. It’s basically useless unless you can get the passcode. The FBI struggled to crack the code from an iPhone and had to get a warrant for Apple to do it in one of their cases. You won’t be able to crack the code.

I would go with the SE1 as you did say it’s a temporary phone and you won’t be using it long term. The SE1 is fine for a good while as long as the battery is replaced.
Hi Mac friends, which one is the best deal to buy today, God willing.

I'll decide today & close it today so shipping can be booked at least on monday (tiring to look for deals in a way with the back & forth with potentials but thats life) between this two, accommodating sellers. Same price, same model 1st gen. SE 16GBs no box, no earphones, no charger:

Seller 1: has no rating on the platform he's selling on but can be paid via on another platform wherein you can pay via credit card for an added layer of protection and can be refunded, it has no tempered glass but will have a case. His other descriptions and photos:

-battery becomes low battery w/ 71% battery health,
-all original parts (never been opened/fixed).

Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 12.03.43 PM.png

Seller 2: has a rating on the platform which are 5 stars but can only do fund transfer (no credit card layer of protection in short and no refund protection). His other descriptions and photos:

-16GB
-No issues
-Factory unlocked
-has a crack on the tempered glass but did not affect the LCD itself.
-sligthly faded color coz' of the old case before
-82% battery health
-Never been repaired/opened
-IOS 15.7.8
-Crisp buttons
- Fingerprint working
- 9/10 physical appearance
- 10/10 performance

Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 12.06.23 PM.png

Thanks in advance for the massive help

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Don’t know what this means “battery becomes low battery w/ 71% battery health,”

you’re clearly leaning toward seller two based on your increased detail in the description. The only concerns would be whether the screen damage is truly just the screen protector and the lack of ability to get your money back if something was wrong.

This Is very hard for me to say.

if you’re this strapped on cash, I would wonder if someone you know would have one to borrow. I never would have thought about it unless someone asked but I have a phone that I would lend a friend - or even give to a stranger - if I knew of a need.

But if this is the only way, I would probably try seller 2. you are too vague about the description for seller 1, the battery life issue is concerning, and the vagueness about what “second platform” he would need to be paid through is also sketchy to me.

since you seem to agree, that’s the hunch I would follow. Try seller 2. Good luck.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Don’t know what this means “battery becomes low battery w/ 71% battery health,”

you’re clearly leaning toward seller two based on your increased detail in the description. The only concerns would be whether the screen damage is truly just the screen protector and the lack of ability to get your money back if something was wrong.

This Is very hard for me to say.

if you’re this strapped on cash, I would wonder if someone you know would have one to borrow. I never would have thought about it unless someone asked but I have a phone that I would lend a friend - or even give to a stranger - if I knew of a need.

But if this is the only way, I would probably try seller 2. you are too vague about the description for seller 1, the battery life issue is concerning, and the vagueness about what “second platform” he would need to be paid through is also sketchy to me.

since you seem to agree, that’s the hunch I would follow. Try seller 2. Good luck.
Thanks, so generous of you. Could your "even give to a stranger" be option 3 (true, I'm in very tight budget coz' of a recent incident that I survived, 99.99% would not have survived + three more challenges that are in a way blessings coz' it pushes you but at the same time difficult for resources. Feel free to DM.) X-D? I have a shipping address at Burbank, California (just a shipping address, a parcel forwarder).

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
I have an iPhone 8 as a back up device, can get them cheap enough now. Occasionally I turn it on make sure the battery hasn’t lost all charge.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Hi Mac friends, which one is the best deal to buy today, God willing.

I'll decide today & close it today so shipping can be booked at least on monday (tiring to look for deals in a way with the back & forth with potentials but thats life) between this two, accommodating sellers. Same price, same model 1st gen. SE 16GBs no box, no earphones, no charger:

Seller 1: has no rating on the platform he's selling on but can be paid via on another platform wherein you can pay via credit card for an added layer of protection and can be refunded, it has no tempered glass but will have a case. His other descriptions and photos:

-battery becomes low battery w/ 71% battery health,
-all original parts (never been opened/fixed).

View attachment 2257114

Seller 2: has a rating on the platform which are 5 stars but can only do fund transfer (no credit card layer of protection in short and no refund protection). His other descriptions and photos:

-16GB
-No issues
-Factory unlocked
-has a crack on the tempered glass but did not affect the LCD itself.
-sligthly faded color coz' of the old case before
-82% battery health
-Never been repaired/opened
-IOS 15.7.8
-Crisp buttons
- Fingerprint working
- 9/10 physical appearance
- 10/10 performance

View attachment 2257116

Thanks in advance for the massive help, stay safe & have a blessed weekend.
I would go with ‘Seller 2’ as the battery is better and the phone appears to be in a nicer overall condition.

The issue with the SE1‘s battery is that it doesn’t last very long even when new. A battery with 81% or 79%% health will be very poor and will provide you with little screen on time to last you the day. If you do get yourself one of these phones, consider a battery case. I have one from Amazon and it was able to add something like 6 hours to my overall battery life for the day.

29537316-4CFA-4016-8966-61A26DD60B7F.jpeg

A0971CA2-5FCC-4074-BBF4-95781AFF6D87.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.