Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
A lot of talk about iOS 18 & new AI features coming to iPhone, but which ones will support this and how far back will they go I wonder?

Maybe all devices that will get iOS 18 will get some AI features but maybe limited the older the iPhone is.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
You’re asking us to get out our crystal ball on a question we cannot answer. Perhaps you’d like to wait a while and Apple will give us some more info. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: James6s and geta

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
The first AI on our iPhones will be so primitive. It is already being hyped way beyond what we will really get. If they just gave Siri some brains as she can not do the most simple things.

Reactions: arefbe

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
You’re asking us to get out our crystal ball on a question we cannot answer. Perhaps you’d like to wait a while and Apple will give us some more info. 😉

My crystal ball is broken lol Usually leaks all over the place about new features etc. just gotta hold tight and see what happens 👍🏻😅

Which iPhone will finally have a feature to make my coffee in the morning? 🤔

My 15 Plus goes to the toilet for me & makes me a coffee! Can AI get any better 🤣

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
iOS 17 supports XS and up including XR.

I think it's safe to assume that the XS line up and XR will be ditched with iOS 18. 11 series might get limited support.

AI if it's going to be done on device needs more RAM and storage. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple restricted support on devices with less than 256GB storage. We've saw them do that for Pro models. For certain models they might be restricted to off device functionality. So say a 11 Pro Max might get a feature but it has to contact a server where as a 15/16 Pro Max might be able to do it on device.

AI models can take up tens of GBs so iOS 18 is likely going to get a bigger footprint and of course AI will eat up all the RAM you throw at it. Off the top of my head I don't know what all the models have in terms of RAM capacity but I know the iPhone 12 Pro Max to 15 Pro Max have 6-8GB. They will probably be fine. And i'm not sure what the rumors are saying about RAM for the iPhone 16 but I think Apple might increase RAM in the 16 Pro Max.

Reactions: James6s

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It'll be iPhone 16 only.

iPhone sales are in decline. Apple is known to ration the camera features - remember how iPhone 14 got Photonic Engine but iPhone 13 doesn't? Both are based on A15. Even stuff like 80% charging limit is artificially limited to new devices.

There's no doubt in my mind on-device AI will be limited to iPhone 16. It's a bigger selling point than camera features.

Reactions: Torty and James6s

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Google is saying that their next phone that will run ai stuff will have 16GB of RAM which is required to keep stuff in memory. They’ve also stated that 24GB of RAM will be required in the future.
So it’s hard to see how an iPhone can do much with ai stuff only having 6GB to 8GB of RAM - without slowing everything down to a crawl using swap files

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
iOS 17 supports XS and up including XR.

I think it's safe to assume that the XS line up and XR will be ditched with iOS 18. 11 series might get limited support.

Multiple reliable sources confirmed XR gets iOS 18. Software feature list and iOS hardware support are unlinked.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Is the idea that this Apple AI is simply on chip versus say software based like ChatGPT?

And one could still achieve the same AI features, but that on chip is just more secure and faster?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Is the idea that this Apple AI is simply on chip versus say software based like ChatGPT?

And one could still achieve the same AI features, but that on chip is just more secure and faster?

Apple's model will only have a small fraction of the capabilities of AI models like ChatGPT. It'll likely be limited to what Siri can do now, but do it more reliably. Any kind of generative AI features will need cloud processing.

Reactions: satchmo

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Google is saying that their next phone that will run ai stuff will have 16GB of RAM which is required to keep stuff in memory. They’ve also stated that 24GB of RAM will be required in the future.
So it’s hard to see how an iPhone can do much with ai stuff only having 6GB to 8GB of RAM - without slowing everything down to a crawl using swap files
Looks like google is using same strategy as Apple to sell new devices. So what’s their killer AI feature?

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
It'll be iPhone 16 only.

iPhone sales are in decline. Apple is known to ration the camera features - remember how iPhone 14 got Photonic Engine but iPhone 13 doesn't? Both are based on A15. Even stuff like 80% charging limit is artificially limited to new devices.

There's no doubt in my mind on-device AI will be limited to iPhone 16. It's a bigger selling point than camera features.
I will always remember Apple’s promoted resident evil which didnt run on my 2k+ Euros 14PM 😁 So it felt somehow obsolet in less than one year.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
It'll be iPhone 16 only.

As much as I would hate for that to be the case, I have a feeling that might be the case. I upgraded to a 15 Pro a couple of weeks ago which is phenomenal but Apple needs some killer feature to get people to upgrade to the upcoming iPhone 16 and on-device AI features exclusive to the 16 might just be it.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
All i see l coming with AI phones is they will cost a lot more money, i also see phones that know more then there users so the phone will make all the decisions withput any input from the phones owners.

People will just leave their AI phones in there pockets AI phone will handle everything on it's own, even make the needed phone payments from your bank accounts.

Calls will be answered by AI calls will be made by AI owners won't have to be involved.

• Haha
Reactions: geta

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I haven't read through all of this, but "AI" has lost all meaning in my opinion. AI has been hyped up as some type of super intelligence thingie that can replace a human mind.

AI has been starting to get implemented in Apple's products for the last few years. AI will be things like "automatically translate a picture from English to Spanish" and "highlight the text in a picture" and "automatically name people in pictures". It's not going to be ChatGPT level type of conversations or MidJourny type of automatic picture generation.

For photos, Apple might use on device AI for things like automatically removing people in the background, or automatically adjusting color. For text, it might be text sentence prediction. For scheduling/ calendar, it might be automatic booking of reoccurring appointments.

People are going to be extremely disappointed if they are expecting ChatGPT level of AI.

Reactions: digitalcuriosity

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Apple‘s marketing team will create a hype but I see also unhappy customers:
If it’s IP16 only IP15 owners will be disappointed.
If IP15P will be supported IP15 owners will be disappointed. And if the 15 line will be supported the 14P Owners will be disappointed with the same HW specs as the IP15.

Iphones became so expensive that we can expect some longevity and supported features longer than for only one year.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple‘s marketing team will create a hype but I see also unhappy customers:
If it’s IP16 only IP15 owners will be disappointed.
If IP15P will be supported IP15 owners will be disappointed. And if the 15 line will be supported the 14P Owners will be disappointed with the same HW specs as the IP15.

Iphones became so expensive that we can expect some longevity and supported features longer than for only one year.

Apple already did it with iPhone 4S/Siri and got away with it. There will always be unhappy customers, but they keep coming back for more.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Apple already did it with iPhone 4S/Siri and got away with it. There will always be unhappy customers, but they keep coming back for more.
What was the price of iphone4? What is the price of iphone 15p? This makes a difference in expectations.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
What was the price of iphone4? What is the price of iphone 15p? This makes a difference in expectations.

iPhone 4S is $899 in today's CPI adjusted dollars. iPhone 15 Pro is $999. This is why Apple will gate the feature to new devices.

If Apple is in a generous mood, they'll let the iPhone 16/Plus have it, but those are $799/$899.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
iPhone 4S is $899 in today's CPI adjusted dollars. iPhone 15 Pro is $999. This is why Apple will gate the feature to new devices.

If Apple is in a generous mood, they'll let the iPhone 16/Plus have it, but those are $799/$899.
Ok in Germany: iPhone 4: 629 Euros. iphone 15p: 1199 Euros.
w/o CPI cause net salaries didn‘t rise.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
My expectation will be that Apple releases a phone specifically built for AI.

Second guess will be that Apple promotes software first of its kind on the iPhone 16 lineup giving its first strike for AI **hype hype **

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.