Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it possible through the iPodsSerial No to find out which model it is?

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Does the iPod function? If so, in the device's settings you should find an About page which displays the SN, and iTunes (or Finder) should display the SN in the device summary screen. Double-check to make sure you have the correct SN with no typos.

EDIT: I entered the SN from my old iPod photo into the coverage page and it failed due to my mistaking a 5 for an S. After correcting that and trying again, it displayed the model number and the year I purchased it.

If you have a dead device and you're trying to read the the SN from the printing on the case, I hope your eyes are better than mine. The small text on my 7th gen Nano is unreadable even with a strong magnifying glass.

You could try posting a photo of the iPod here.

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If the iPad is asking me for a pass code, cant i delete everything and start a fresh new account?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
iPad or iPod?

If the iPad is asking me for a pass code, cant i delete everything and start a fresh new account?
maybe.

If it's an iPad you "found" then probably not. If it's activation locked, then there's zero way to do anything with it without the person whose account it is locked to releasing it. If you purchased it from someone, you'll need to reach out to them to remove the lock.

If it's locked to your account, or not activation locked, then you'll need to connect it to a computer and do a full erase and start as a new device. You may be able to use a previous backup to restore some of your apps and settings if you previously had an iPad.

Apple may be able to release the activation lock, but you have to prove beyond any doubt the device is rightfully yours. At minimum you'll need the original receipt. And it's at their discretion, so do not count on this at all.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If it's locked to your account, or not activation locked, then you'll need to connect it to a computer and do a full erase and start as a new device. You may be able to use a previous backup to restore some of your apps and settings if you previously had an iPad.
Its the iPod Touch im talking about... and yes i believe i need to make full erase. How do i do that?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If it's an iPad you "found" then probably not. If it's activation locked, then there's zero way to do anything with it without the person whose account it is locked to releasing it. If you purchased it from someone, you'll need to reach out to them to remove the lock.
How can i erase it in Monterey?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.